1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Firewood operations

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MLI, Oct 27, 2002.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Anyone doing this....post some pics.....I just got a digital cam, and Ill post some pics soon of a guy down the street that has over 800 cord. He's selling to restraunts, and homeowners.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I just brought back the thread from last year, I'm pretty sure you were invovlved in that. I'm buying wholesale from a guy (cut, split, seasoned, and loaded) and delivering it in the local area.

I seem to be the only one doing it around here.

I wrote in that thread that I am looking for some "onion or potato" sacks to start selling 1 cu. ft. bundles. I figure theres some good monry in this method if you have the spare time to bag some wood. I posted some numbers in the other thread also.

Check it out, and anyone that knows where I can order these bags, please look at the pic or check out the other thread and let me know.

Thanks!

bundle.gif

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks man..........I haven't seen that company before. I just e-mailed them to see what they can do for me.

I've e-mailed a few similiar companies about 2 weeks ago, but no one has gotten back to me yet. Hopefully they will!

If not I'll be swearing the shrinkwrap blues!

No one else sells or delivers firewood??

4. Very few sell firewood in the city here anymore. November through April we have pollution alerts that ban burning in fireplace. Cold air causes inversion that hold pollution on ground so no fire-warm days aren't a problem but no fire needed.

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I sell firewood . Last year I sold about 25 cords but this year I only have 5 cords to sell (supplier went out of biz )so I hope to sell about 30 to 35 cords next year if I can find a tree sevice or 2 that wants to get rid of some wood. Ive been selling oak, maple,and poplar cords for $140 to $150 a cord . Just wish I had a bigger lot so I could split and sell more wood.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

what do you figure that your hourly wage is in the cord wood business? Seems like a lot of work for $150/cord.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

With the amount of time in cutting, moving, splitting, stacking, drying, loading, delivering, and then many times stacking again, for myself I've never found firewood to be profitable. I always joke that if I sold firewood I would charge $400-$500 per cord.

8. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

the only time I made money with wood sales was in collage living in Dallas. I would go to my folks in NE Texas and bring a load back to sell at the apt.
    complex where I lived, and that the profit just coverd my beer habit

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I forgot who I was talking to, but he told me , on average, a piece of wood is moved 20 times:
    1. Tree is felled
    2. Tree is logged up
    3. Wood is loaded into truck
    4. Wood in unloaded from truck
    5. Wood is moved to splitter
    6. Wood is split
    7. Wood is thrown into a pile
    8.Wood is put back into truck
    9. Wood is brought to customers
    10. Wood is unloaded at customers
    11. Customer stacks wood
    12. Customer brings wood into house
    13. Customer puts wood into fire

I could only come up with 13. When you think about it, it is amazing how often it is handled.