Firewood Rack question

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by 1999frontier, Nov 15, 2011.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've been buying racks for my firewood and my father in law made a couple wood racks out of cinder blocks and landscape timbers. He stacked the ends in a criss cross pattern and then the middle was just stacked regularly. My question is how level should this type of rack be? I'm making one for my house and my yard slopes down and right now I've got it where its about 2" off. The lower side is about 2" off according to the level. I was thinking about digging out if I can since its close to a tree to make it more level. Do you think it needs to be perfect or does it need to slope a little?

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

The rack should be as level as possible.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If it isn't perfectly level, all the BTUs will leak out of the firewood :p

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Wet boots: lmao
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1999frontier

from NC

I didn't know if being off much, level wise, would make the wood lean to the point of falling. This will be my first time stacking wood without a rack with rails. I'm hoping the criss cross method for the ends will be sturdy.

6. Wet_Boots

Frankly, it is difficult to imagine being unable to fabricate a perfectly level firewood rack, even on a slope.

7. 1999frontier

from NC

I was thinking about digging out the high side if I could but its close to a tree. Not sure if I will be able to if there's a lot of roots. Do you use firewood? If so do you use racks? If not post some pics of your "level" firewood storage. Just trying to keep it simple

8. Wet_Boots

I burn coal - different set of problems :) I would think the simplest form of a wood rack would start off something like a four-legged bench. If the ground isn't level, then the 'bench' legs can be of unequal lengths.

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

All my wood racks are tilted and uneven. That way, the wood dries better.... or so I tell myself. :hammerhead:

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

How much wood do you burn in FL?