Firewood

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Sooooooo, going price here seems to be $175 for a cord (VA Ground Covers)..........Merrifield I think is $200 per cord

Who in this area knows where to buy it for less..........I'm thinking buy and then sell/deliver.

I would like to keep it within a 1hr drive, maybe 1.5hrs.........I'm in northern VA.

Back home (Danville, VA........VA/NC border) I can get it for $65 cord and between my 2500hd and 10k GW trailer I shouldn't have a prob gett'n 4 cords on there............only home is almost 4 hrs south.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If you have property to store it you could get a dump triler load, or even a tandem dump load and keep it "in stock" If you order volume you might even get better than 65 per cord.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a storage area my cousin hauls it in to your area by the tractor tailer load. He lives around Bedford Pa.
    Mike

4. tthomass

from N. VA

so what are some locations and prices?

i'm moving/renting a room on a farm but i don't know about being able to have a load of fire wood dumped there, it's not my place grrrr

have to see if they have a fireplace, i don't move in for another week..........work out a bargain maybe

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it hard to believe that you could buy firewood, haul it back to your site, and then deliver and still turn a profit. Seems the only way to make money on firewood is charge the customer on the original tree removal which includes travel time back to the shop. Once that is covered, splitting it as fast as you can and then turning it for profit. Maybe things are different regionally, but that's how you'd have to do it here.

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I know a couple of tree companies that may be able to help you out. Last year most places sold out really quick and by October I saw cords going for as high as 295.00/cord

7. tthomass

from N. VA

i'm talking getting it already split...........think like plants, you buy and sell back to the customer

onyl all i have to do it stack wood

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

As I said, it must be a regional situation then, There is really no way, here in my part of Wisconsin, to buy split firewood, and sell it to someone for ANY type of profit. No way in h e ll. Unless someone doesn't value their time and they sell it to you at a loss.

It sounds that may not be the case in your area though.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

curious...........what does a cord cost in your area?

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We do it all the time. I have a guy who has a wood processor, it's like a splitter on steroids. He sells wholesale for 60-70 per cord depending on the quaility of the wood, he does even better for the tree guys who dump all their wood for him to split. Not a bad deal for them really, free place to dump, it's local and he gives them 10 off per cord if they buy al least 15 cords in advance. I have never done enough business selling it to worry about prebuying. But I know guys who prebuy their HAY.....I meant straw sorry(yes I did read that other thread.) They seem to like it an the farmers love it. Depending on the time of year we can get between 150 and 225 dollars per cord, we charge extra over 10 miles and another 100 to stack it, needless to say we don't do much stacking, but thats on purpose.