Firewood????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I got a question for you guys.. i wanted to put firewood delivery as a service. Is there a difference in the type of wood you use? I can't really tell what kind of wood it is, but i have a few tree companies here and they will drop off wood at my house. All i have to do is split it with the splitter and deliver it. My question is.. does it matter what wood i use? a special name? or can it be just anything? I use firewood at my house.. and anything that burns goes into the fireplace..

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i think their is a difference. i think woods with sap smoke alot, and are not good to burn because they get excess soot in the chimney

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do a search, there was a topic on this about 5 days ago.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Type of wood is definitely important.
    Softwoods (pine, spruce,hemlock, etc.) can't be sold unless you are out west (Wyoming, Montana, etc.)

Hardwoods vary by location,you need to educate yourself on tree identification and experience the difference in how certain woods split and burn.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oak, Hickory, some Poplar, and some maples. Do not use pine, sweetgum, or any other softwood, they smoke terribly and cause tar and gum buildup in chimneys, which is a fire hazard.

6. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Stick with hardwoods. Also if the tree companies are dropping off fresh cut trees, you will have to let it season for a least a year after you split it, so you will need room to store all this wood while it is drying. So what you split this year won't be ready to sell until next year.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

WMSLAND: Thats not allways true... i had some wood sit for maybe 3 months and it was fine. It wasn't even split. THey were huge pieces sitting in my back yard for about 3 months and all i did was split them and they were fine for my use.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Oak , Ash, and beech are the best three woods to burn :waving:

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

They were fine for YOUR use.

Trust me, if you try hauling wood to someone that is paying for it, they'll try to light a 5" diameter log with a match and call you because your wood is too wet to burn.

You'll have to split it all, even the stuff that's only 3" in diameter and wait until at LEAST next year to sell it.

I've been doing firewood commercially for a while now and if you have any questions, lets have at it.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

There was a thread on this not all that long ago. When I was younger before the no burn days came about, we used to burn Juniper or oak. One year we tried pine and it was terrrible. Had to have a chimney sweep come out. Stuff smoked pretty bad adn left a lot of tar and pitch behind. Thought we were saving money by not going for more expensive wood, live and learn.