firing customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

How do you politely let a customer go. I am in the process of tightening my route and must let a few customers go. How do you let them go without burning the bridge.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

if your decision is based on business, like decreasing overhead, travel time, etc.....then just tell them that. I would also offer to refer them to another LCO......

Business is business......if they get mad it won't be because you were not honest and up-front.

3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I do. I find someone to take over that is respectable.... Works fo ryou at both ends... Next time the other LCO may throw you some business.. plus your customer doesnt have to go thru the hassle of locating a new LCO...

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Do as stated above. You never know what the future holds and don't want to burn any bridges. Try to get them a replacement. If that cant be done, just tell them it is not profitable for you due to the distances and your work load.

5. Dixie Pro Lawn Care

Dixie Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I agree. Absolutely, take it on yourself to keep a network with other LCO once you get to know them and to call them and arrange for taking over the account you wish to let go. Do that and make arrangements before speaking to the customer. If the customer agrees, it is already set up. You just need to give a call to the LCO so they can get them into one of their routes. Make sure the other LCO is squared away or it will make you look bad too. BTW, I wouldn't bother telling the customer it is not profitable for you, any longer, to mow their lawn..or whatever reason, it will just sound questionable the more you try to justify it. Just simply, briefly state "I'm sorry, but for reasons beyond my control, I can't service your lawn right now." "I have another good, professional set up to take care of you so you don't go without service." "I only have to make a call, if your interested, and they will pick up where I left off." "In the future, if you need help or just have some questions, give me a call and I'll do what I can for you."

That's how I would want to handle it anyway. It leaves it open for business down the road if, for some reason, the other LCO can't do it. Never burn a bridge. It could hurt word of mouth business too.