firing employees

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i was whatching tv today and radio shack fired 400 employees via e-mail :laugh: this got me thinkin how do you fire them face to face email or a letter, ect.

2. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

Well I had one of my guys not show up for two days got in touch with him last night said he will be ready to work this morning and then he called off. So I told him his days off were permanent from my company.

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Usually dont get the opportunity to fire them. They usually walk off pissin and moaning and flippin the boss off or just stop showing up.

Sure keeps our unemployment insurance rates down

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The only guy I really fired, I had to do it over the phone :laugh: That wasn't my intention but he only worked on certain days, and I had a replacement lined up for Monday...kept raining on his workdays so I didn't see him again in person.

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Well let's see. I fired 5 this year all face to whatever. 1 over the phone and like 4-5 just didn't come back except to PU pay check. Yep another normal year

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I tell Bob to tell Sam to tell Dave to tell Rob to tell Charles to tell......... :laugh:

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

"We think you'd be better off in a different position.....at a different company".

Anyone else think of office space? :)

Actually, I fire my guys to face, I've let 2 go this year, which is unusual because we only had 1 guy in the last few years until this year.

Both of them were simply not worth $10/hr starting wage. Thats all I told them. Both only lasted two weeks.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Always face to face, if they quit showing up you have not really fired them just replaced them.

Immediate superior makes the decision and does the firing but there must be protocol and it should not come as a surprise to the employee. So foreman fires labor, supervisor fires foreman, and I fire supervisors.

Firing is a last resort and if you hire well you shouldn't have to do much firing. Its tough though sometimes you just need someone so bad that you take shortcuts and do a lot of hoping and praying.