Firing woes.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ZM70, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ZM70

ZM70 LawnSite Member
    from n/a

I have a small company (3 full time employees, year round and 3 seasonal workers) and recently had to let one of my full-timers go because he decided to milk hours and not complete any work. (I can't be onsite all the time, so this person was trusted as a working foreman.) Anywho- said employee has come on the jobsites in an attempt to cause a scene and argue with me and is now making his rounds to my other sites, 'stalking' them, if you will.. in an attempt to talk to my customers. He stated that he intended to put me out of business-- I'm not worried about competition from him. I'm worried about him making me look bad (and my clients uncomfortable) by involving my customers in this BS. Short of beating him up, do I have any recourse?

It has been a week now, and he doesn't seem to be getting bored with this.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am not 100% sure. Never had this happen to me. However, do you have an attorney? I would think that there has to be something that your attorney or the police could offer. I am not sure if you could put a restraining order against this person or not. Like I said not really sure, but that is the direction that I would start. Have you let him know that if he does not stop that you would look into some kind of legal action against him?
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yep I'd check into the restraining order, not sure if one can be issued to protect your company but I'd wager the farm it can. IMO this should be no different than a fixed location place of employment, I believe law enforcement and these days society in general frowns upon and are a bit leery of disgruntled employees showing up at the old workplace, especially if they per chance would be the gun 'totin kind. I would take this a step further and venture a guess that you may have some liability in providing your other employees an as safe work environment as reasonably possible. Free from harrasment, workplace violence, etc.
    Good luck
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I imagine it is different state to state like everything else. I have a former employee who has been on his own for over 10 years, very successful, he recently called to tell me about his former supervisor that ran his maintenance division. She quit, went to work for another company and began poaching his old accounts for her new employer :angry: . He got his lawyer involved and she has been served with something that prevents her from entering these gated communities where the homes are until they go to court. The real kicker is she cant even get in to service her new employers accounts and court date has been set for sometime in June :p . Big problems for her. See your lawyer but in his case it was that she had poached a considerable amount of business and had some proprietary information gained from working for him that enabled her to do so. I would probably start by being proactive and calling or writing a letter to the clients to let them know what the situation is so they are not surprised ;) .