1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RedWingsDet, Sep 4, 2007.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

You cant fire an employee without giving them a good reason why can you? And can they still get unemployment if they do get fired.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You can say most anyting. It isnt working out is a cop out that works. They can get unemployemnt if its decided that they were fired for not meeting the standards of the company, and not misconduct.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

In the state of Indiana we are a at "will" state meaning you can let go of anyone anytime you wish. They will draw unemployment, but you pay unemployment wages anyway, the worst that can happen to you is they raise your percentage for a while. Now for rule violations they may draw for a while until the case has been heard but they will usually have to re-pay the money they drew out. Unemployment is like insurance, think of it that way and it wont hurt as bad.
  4. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

I agree with Lawnman_scott.

Here in PA you can fire them for just about anything. If they go for unemployment, I know for a fact that the three reasons that have worked for me are stealing money from the company, misconduct toward a customer and putting a company asset at risk.
    Something like he/she looked at me wrong won't cut it.:nono:

My wife works for the state and unemployment is a whole different ball game.
    It seems everyone gets unemployment....... She preps for three days prior to the hearing and rarely wins the case...
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Texas is also an "at will State", they can file, and you can fight it if you have done your job, document everything, being late, fighting with others, statements from others, etc....if you have an employee handbook and they failed to follow it, then you have a great chance of winning.
  6. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a few file, but they usually put on a pretty good show before we kicked them to the curb. We know of one guy who likes to leave a job without much cause (In our case he just quit showing up) files for unemployment, gets another job while he's drawing and I guess when it runs dry is when he moves on to the next one. He didn't get it from us though.
  7. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

I've only had one person walk off the job and they never tried to collect. I suppose they had something else lined up.
  8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

just give them every crappy job that will drive them crazy and make THEM quit, back in the day I was known as the angel of unemployment!
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

bingo. around here pulling weeds usually works as does telling them the start time is BEFORE noon.