First aerate & seed jobs - some questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey all..

I could possibly have 3 aerating and overseeding jobs. I need a little help with pricing and how long they should take. These jobs are on the same street and separated by one house each. I already do the fertilizing for these houses so, please don't figure that into the equation. All three are in sad shape, meaning on the thin side, some drought damage and a fair amount of crab grass. The approximate sizes are as follows: 36,500 - 46,000 - 50,000 sq. ft. Not many obstacles and pretty flat.

I will double aerate with a 40 or 48 inch tow-behind and broadcast spread seed with a lesco 80lb. cap. front mounted to a 'Z'.

I have searched and looked through some threads and am even more confused now...

What would be a heavy rate of seed... 8lbs/k?

How long do you think it'll take? Can you break it down for aerating... seeding?

What would be a fair price? Would I want to give 'em a group discount?
  2. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

This past week I read a few threads that talked about prices for aerating and overseeding. Alot of them were based on the cut price and triple or 4 times it. Other people also mentioned overseeding, I think one guy said take your mowing price and multiply by 6 for aerate and overseed. Don't take my advise as fact though, I'm just trying to shoot you in the right direction, try the search for the word aerate or overseed, I'm sure you'll get a start plus you will get some new replies as well.
    good luck.
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont get why people double aerater. Its just a waste of time to me. Can anyone explain this? I was thinking aobut aerating this fall and wondering why do the whole lawn? Only certain areas need it so why not just seed those spots? As you walk with the aerator u could just throw some seeds in those wholes and charge whatever. I would think this way would be quicker and just as profitable. Am I way off here?
  4. Lawn-Scapes

I don't understand why some people ask a question in someone else's post and has no significant info to provide to the questions already at hand... Am I way off here?

but I'll try to give my reason for double aerating. To loosen up and expose as much soil as possible which will help with the seed to soil contact.... which I believe is key to the germination process.

Thanks peewee.

Anyone else???
  5. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

$292-365 / $368-460 / $400-500 respectivly for aeration depending on discount...your call.

4lb of non-premium KY Blue mix per 1000sqft $8.00-9.00 per k based on 1.49 per pound

4lb of basic rye mix per 1000sqft $5.50-7.00 per k based on 1.00 per pound

I try not to "rape" on seed if it's combined with aeration.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks Dochere...

I guess I should have mentioned... I'll be using Lesco seed. Transition Blend (fescue mix) I think. 50lb bag $50 = $1/lb.
  7. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

That's what I based my $1.00 per pound on too!;)
  8. Lawn-Scapes

I was thinking right around $17.50/k... which seems to be right around your quoted high side.

Is 4lbs. considered heavy?

Anyone know about the time involved...
  9. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I always broadcast over with 1/2-3/4 the recomended rate for a new lawn. Lesco transition blend has a suggested rate of 6-8lbs, so 3-4lbs would be O.K. but I prefer to be on the high side of O.K. aka 4lbs. per 1000sqft. As far as the tow behind, time wise, I'm not sure. I can cover 22,000 sqft with my 26" walk behind per hour. so I would have 2-2.5 hrs in each of your jobs above for aeration only. Seeding, I would think, will be done in about twice the time it takes you to mow with your Z, assuming you take your time and are applying it properly.