first aid kits - what's in yours?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hunter, Jul 13, 2003.

1. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Trying to put together my own first aid kit to keep on the trailer. What's in your kit?

The ones you buy seem to be way high in price and don't really seem to have what I think I need.

2. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

ALOE... Works numbers on burns.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

go to like Walmart of Meijers and pick up one there, they are reasonable

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Duct Tape. Can't get those darn bandaids and regular tape to stick when I sweat all day. I tell you it hurts at the end of the day to take it off, but if the stars and moon is aligned just right and you cross your eyes it is better than spending half the day replacing the bandage that fell off and cleaning your machine because there is blood all over it.

5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

A bottle of jack, a bullet and a sharp knife....;)

I bought one of the bigger ones that wal-mart sells and it has just about anything that you might need. I guess if I can't fix it with the stuff thats in there, then I probably need to go to the ER.

6. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Now who would ever think that we would need first aid on the job site. :dizzy:

We carry a BIG (new) tool box full of goodies. I have everything to take care of from a scratch to a major cut. We have aloe for burns, hand sanitizer to help clean hands before treating a wound. Band Aids, gauze, wash cloth, towel, even a blood pressure kit W/ Stethoscope. ( I have high BP so I keep an Eye on it.) Ice packs and lots of misc. Our first aid kit is bigger than the tool box. I would father be over prepared for an injury, than not be prepared at all.

:)

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

one thing that i am yet to hear anyone say in this thread is a pair of latex gloves. if you are treating a wound BSI (body substance isolation) should be a major concern. along those lines for those who know cpr or even just to be safe, u should have a mouth to mouth barrier device. one cheap way to get supplies, especially supplies that are better then what you buy in first aid kits and even cheaper, go to your local fire house or ems station, ask if they can spare some basic first aid stuff. at firehouses this stuff is ordered by boxes that are in big boxes (bulk). some stuff that would be of great help in our field for first aid and is not often included is gauze pads. cary some 4x4s or 6x6s even and they will help great with wounds. taping a gauze pad works much better then a band aid. another item often forgotten is a container of sterile water, works great for cleaning out eyes and wounds. there is much much more but these are just some things that popped into my mind. let me know if u would like more

8. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We do carry the latex gloves, I just forgot to mention them. :(
    Do I still get an A??? LOL We use to have sterile water too, but we run out, so I need to get more.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

A hanky and some duck tape!:D

Actually, don't forget the eye wash. To be honest with you I just let the small cuts blead for awhile as it is an effective means of cleaning the wound before taping it up.

10. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have the Walmart special like hubb has. I added some larger gauze pads,touniquet rubber strap for a real emergency, benedryl capsules in case of bee stings or allergies, a roll of 2" nurse tape, and a list of what each employee has for medical conditions, allergies, and phone # contacts. Can you tell my wife is a nurse? I think she put some more stuff in there too. Knock on wood I have not had to use it in a while !