First Aid Training

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Olylawnboy, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

The post that old dog 80 started got me thinking. Do you folks have a first aid card? Do any of your employees? I've had a first aid card since high school (got it from the Boy Scouts) and got a EMT card just out of school when I was in a volunteer fire department in the early 70's, it was a lot easier to get back then. I think it only required a 40 hour coarse. I still have a industrial card that I have maintained since the eighties when I worked in a sawmill.
    Through the years the training has come in very handy and I'm not the only one that has been glad that I've done it :)

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm an EMT basic and my helpers are first responders.

3. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Hahhaha funny that you bring this up. i have a first aid cpr card. I'm on the Volunteer Fire Dept too. I went through the EMT class. I'm still trying to pass that hard test. I wanna get my Paramedic card too.

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your having trouble passing the EMT-B class, I would'nt even think about Paramedic if I were you.

5. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

Both my wife and I are retired Paramedics. After 17 years of that, I was so burnt out that I was looking for any way to get out of the field. Most of my part time employees are also either EMT's or Medics looking for extra money. It helps that I pay my people the same or more than they can make in EMS around here. Gotta love it when you can make more money doing landscaping and lawn cutting than you can saving people's lives.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what's worse when I get seriously hurt... The guys stand around gawking and doing nothing, or the ones all jumping around all excited because years ago they took a class and oh now is their chance to help me, they're paramedics they claim, they know cpr they say. Yeah and why aren't you dressed like a paramedic and where is your ambulance?

I tell you what, if it's that bad just call 911, please !!!

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

God bless you if you don't need them, but if you do, you'll be glad if you have someone close by that is certified with or without an ambulance.

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am CPR and first aid certified. hope i never need to use what i know.

9. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the class, It's the national registry test.