1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First and Last ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MarkSLR, Jul 31, 2013.

1. MarkSLR

MarkSLR LawnSite Member

I have 6 acres to mow various grasses and terrain. I am picking from these new diesel mowers: no particular order- John Deere 997, Scag Tiger, Toro D597.
    Is there another one that would be good to check out? I am after a 60 inch deck, longevity, excellent cut in a variety of conditions damp vs. dry.
    I mow 2 x / week due to the grass growth most of the year. The lawn will grow 4" in one week and my wife needs it kept immaculate for her business.

I have a 1996 JD 770 with a 60 inch belly mower and it takes a long time to mow with plus an old Craftsman rider for tight spots.
    I do not like my JD dealer so I have to locate a new one to work with. I am getting ready for demos. The cut of the grass is my top priority. The dealer needs to know his business and set the deck up correctly. I want to be done mowing in about an hr instead of 4.

What other mower deck/diesel can compete?
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I been saying same thing since 2001 But I keep buying mowers I owned 12 since 1985 and still have 10 of them they mow some where on certain days
    My self I don't like diesel mowers I rather have gas I had one I sent down the road was a good mower but was to heavy and to hot to ride in the summer time

Have you look at Dixie Chopper
  3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

For a home owner 6 acres is a complete waste of money to mow. Turn it into production, CRP or a hay field.
  4. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Scag turf tiger. Thread closed.
  5. MarkSLR

MarkSLR LawnSite Member

I have 16 acres but mow about 6. My house is 7000 sq ft and my lawn makes it look big and beautiful. I have a big red and white barn near the house all on a river and it is a nice homestead. I want a nice lawn and top notch equipment. I like torque so I want diesel. My 770 will be just landscaping, brush hogging and doing loader work and back up for emergencies.

I raise beef on the other 10 acres and barns. My house is also used for a quilting business so it has to look good when customers come to spend cash.

I retired and so now my work is making my yard even nicer. I have to do something my other equipment doesn't cut it anymore. I am waiting to see the new deals offered hopefully tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Dvasqz6

Dvasqz6 LawnSite Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Look at Kubota and exmark. Were soon taking a demo on a lazer with the diesel and rear discharge deck. But I have good things on the kubota. The city here runs toros
  8. MarkSLR

MarkSLR LawnSite Member

I am looking for a mower that has a deck that can cut a 6 acre lawn and make it look excellent because it can cut. The mower decks that have grease-able spindles and from the research I have done are excellent mowers decks are: 7 Iron; Turbo Force, Velocity Plus.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You may want to look at a Ferris 5100 with the Cat 35 diesel and full independent suspension. The ICD decks cut great, and the ride will be better than all the others on your list, and I'm a long (very long) time Deere guy. Good luck with whichever one you buy.
  10. MarkSLR

MarkSLR LawnSite Member

Cornell Ag just dropped off there Ferris and got a Toro due to some problems with the Ferris frame; I am looking for long term 10 year mower.