First batch of tea brewing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Apr 26, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I am brewing my first batch as I type this. I have a couple of ??s for the brewers. My water temp is about 60 degrees, is this too cold? It's about 62-64 outside, should I turn the heat on in garage? My ph is hovering around 8 now, it was 7.5 to start,I believe I'd like it close to 7. Is there anything I can add to lower ph without affecting the tea life? My DO is at 10.6 and had started around 12.5, I believe this to be good.You don't bother checking TDS after initially checking? thanks for any help. Mike

2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

micheal, are you on the compost tea yahoo groups? Just checking cause that is all they talk about there. They have a bunch of folk over there that know what they are talking about or at least sound like. And a bunch that don't have a clue....like me.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The thinking right now is brew the tea at the temps you will spray it at. So, if it's 60 you should be fine if those are ambient temps and it sounds like it. DO above 6 is good, you're doing great there. Most 5 gallon brewers crank out the DO. As far as pH goes, I don't really worry about it. We use KIS kits and haven't had any problems. I think you need to have a beer and relax.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

2 beers and a vitamin c, beers for you and the c is for the brew, dont worry to much about the ph at 8, alitte more acid is ok but no higher,whats the feed stock thats in the brew, and has the temp gone up. enjoy the beers....

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be curious what your TDS was (in PPM if possible). Yes I only check it with plain water. I get around the same
    DO2 with 60 degrees and 25 PPM TDS. At 50 F I get 15+ PPM DO2. If you want more microbial activity try to start at 65F next time. A higher pH usually means lots of bacteria/archaea. It may go down around 36 to 42 hours indicating protozoa are eating the bacteria/archaea. Fun Eh?

Tim

6. treegal1

tim, got a question, we brew at 80 deg mostly in 24 hours, the question is should the brew temp go up 4 degrees in that time and should we try to cool the tea or let it go nuts, we are having flocculation issues and have been holding back some of the foods til later in the brew. any thoughts??? thanks in advance

ps we trust a guy with no degree more than most "PHDs"

7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys and advice. Looking at my post now, I can see the frantic tones in the typing lol. I have been postponing the brew for almost a month because of low high temps and then not a drop of rain for over 2 weeks, and irrigations aren't on til May at the earliest.

Greenthumb:yes I am a member, I've yet to post there. As you see, I always get great advice here, so I ask here first.

Natty:Good advice. I am using the manufactures kits also.

Treegal:The temp is up now to 63, but outside temp is 42 and dropping , so I kicked the heat on for a little while. I am using vermicompost and feed kit, I will look to see if it lists ingredients.

Tim:I'll check but I believe it was 34 ppm TDS.Hopefully the temps are rising around here.It's kinda fun, just finally getting to go thru the procedure, after 2 months of buying, searching and putting stuff together, is nice.

8. Tim Wilson

Treegal, I'm assuming your water is 80 degrees. Does it come that warm out of the ground? I'm moving next door. My poor old bones need some warmth. I would not try cooling if I were you. Let nature take it's course.

Are you seeing protozoa at 24 hours with your scope?

Salutations,
    Tim

9. Tim Wilson

Sorry I got so caught up in thinking about Florida I forgot to answer (as well as I can) the rest. Flocculation:Is stuff floating on the surface or sinking? Sometimes fungal hyphae floats. Did you look at the substance with your scope. Going up 4 degrees is one sign of microbial activity.
    I would put your foods in at the beginning unless you have figured a really good reason why not or is the flocculation of the foods?

Tim

10. treegal1

the flox. are fungal with heavy bact.covering and there are protozoa at the start and more as the brew goes, we add all the normal feeds just half the molasses and the other half at the 1/2 way 12 hour mark, if we give it all at once the flox tries to get away, the water is out of the ground at 74-76 the air temp is 78-89 today! the shop hovers at 80 all the time (it is solid concrete even the roof)