First Big Bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Likestomow, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Tomorrow I'm making my first large landscaping bid. It's to completely re-do two subdivision sign areas. The plan was drawn up by a local nursery and is quite extensive. The plants will run a little over 3K. I was going to charge $1500 for labor and also put in a $700 "prep" charge. There will also be a hefty bill for topsoil to make burms and for mulch.

I was wondering if the labor charge and the prep charge seemed right to you.

Thanks.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Are you providing any warranty (such as one year) on the plants?

3. Likestomow

I hadn't thought much about that, but I believe the nursery does give a one year warranty. If a plant should die within that period, I would have to R&R it. Are you suggesting I build in additional dollars for that possibility?

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If the plants cost $3k then charge at least $3k to install. Then add yous mulch costs and soil for the berm costs. Sounds like its close to a $7k job to me. Although I don't know what the market will bear in Chattanooga.

5. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

What are you going to do for the "prep charge?"

6. Likestomow

Thanks for your replies.

curlawngreen: I really don't know! I was told by a local nursery that a "prep" charge is always to be entered. I think he said for misc. and unexpected labor. I did not list it, however, but instead just added more cost to my labor.

Here's the breakdown:

Plants 3030
    (this includes tax)
    20 c.y. Topsoil installed 1065
    (this includes a 1-day Bobcat rental)
    14 c.y. Pine Bark Mulch installed 650
    320 lineal feet of 4" Metal Edging installed 565
    Labor 1900

TOTAL 7210

7. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

BE SURE TO BE CLEAR WITH YOUR NURSERY AS TO THE GARUNTEE, THEY MAY NOT OFFER IT IF YOU ARE BUYING THOSE PLANTS AT WHOLESALE PRICES...LOCALLY IF YOU BUY WHOLESALE THE BURDEN OF A WARRANTY FALLS ON THE CONTRACTOR.

8. MikeC

MikeC LawnSite Member

Likestomow, I am in Chatt. what is your company name. would like to get to know you. I cut part time and am always looking for good advice.
    Mike Clifford
    488-0658

9. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Ditto what Scraper said.

How many man/hrs did you figure on this job and what do you charge per hour. Cover all your time, no one else will! I would figure the job backwards and forwards till you're sick of looking at it and then add a 15% oops I forgot something to the total. Who is going to maintain these plants if you garuntee them. Most of my landscape install jobs seem to run 2-3times the cost of material. Any employees on job I expect to generate 2.5 times their salary in gross sales. Best of luck with this job and hope you get it AND make big bucks.

10. YardGuy

YardGuy LawnSite Member

Did you get the job and at what price? Thanks for sharing info. This is the true value of a forum.Let1s do these exercises more often.