first big job!!!! need help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Capitol Lawn, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Capitol Lawn

Capitol Lawn LawnSite Member
    from MD

ok guys i need help
    i have an oppurtunity to bid on my first commercial job.
    the organization gave me the specs from last years company
    what does all this add up to.
    what would you charge?
    need help please.

Turf Care
    24 mowings (160 units)

weed control
    - apply pre-eemergent weed control to all mulched areas, sidewalks , and curbs in early spring
    - all areas will be policed monthly throughout the growing season. control during this time will be both hand- pulling and spraying

Annual Planting
    - service includes plants, planting, soil conditioners, fertilizers, watering on the day of planting (water supplied by the community), and removal at end of season. annuals used may be a combination of begonias, dusty miller, petunias, vinca and impatients. in early to mid-may, plant the following
    - 190 4 1/2" flowering annuals

Fertilizing
    a turf management program will be performed consisting of 4 applications of a granular, slow release balanced turf fertilizer, and annual and broadleat weed controls. these will be applied at the appropriate times throughout the season with weed control applications posted by signs.

Tree and Shrub care
    (front of all homes throughout community are included in the following sepecifications)
    mulch all existing mulched areas in spring , 2inches thick
    fertilize all shrubs sith time released, granular fertilizer
    fertilize all trees with time released tree spikes
    prune all shrubs in mid to late spring, late summer/ early fall, lightly trim long shoots from shrubs
    broken branches on trees will be trimmed when mulch is applied and whenever needed throughout season

make sense to anybody?

2. Oasis1

Oasis1 LawnSite Member

It all makes sense,but you didnt put down any of the sizes of anything. How many sq ft how many bushes,trees, how much sq foot of muclh. Its kind of hard to help you with a price without that info. And to be honest if that stuff doesnt make sense to you than i think that job is a little out of your leauge.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes but I'm not bidding the job. Love to help but I dont have all night to explain this stuff. If you dont understand it your in over your head. If you really want to pursue this, remember you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Break it down task by task add your mark up for product and your best estimate for labor at your labor rate. If you dont know your mark up or labor rate, Your in over your head. Good luck.

4. Capitol Lawn

Capitol Lawn LawnSite Member
    from MD

thanks for replies.
    each unit has approximately 60sq/ft of grass to be cut
    there are 4 landscaped areas with approximately 5000sq/ft of grass to be cut
    probably 15 yards of mulch will cover the areas to be remulched
    did i leave anything out?
    and
    i understand all the lingo, i just figured there was some info not there that you all would need to help, i just wasnt sure at the time.
    thanks again

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bid a house and make a mistake. It will cost you! but no big deal Adjust the next one and move on. But what you talking about is 160 times any mistake you make. Do you have money in the bank to cover a loss of $2 dollars a week X's 160 for the next 24 weeks.
    The way to cost out a job is to know your costs. As you get bigger jobs the knowledge of cost has got to be closer and closer to being right on or you will lose big time.
    If you are on the "Just starting in business" forum and asking this question you may be in over your head.