First Big Job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JConner, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JConner

JConner LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, Well i need help again i just got offered a big trim job and well i don't know how to price it. He said the other guy told him 120.00 which he also said 4 hours at $30.00 and he was going to bring a 6 man crew and knock it out in 4 hours. he said that he likes me and would prefer to give the job to me. Now i could just stick with the other guys 120 but i don't think i will make any money and i need to know how to price for future. The whole house has 1 row of different shrubs all the way around but in the front there are a few rows of hawthorns and 4 palms PLEASE HELP i also have made up some proposals (contracts) which i would like to use he wants me to give him an hourly rate i know you guys all ready say no but I'm just double checking,. Thanks alot

2. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

Do it for the experience. All your questions will then be answered.
    For me, too low.....

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I always charge a little more for hawthorne's, due to the thorns. Just my thought. But from what your describing that price is way to low

4. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

Okay let me get this straight... Another guy will do it for $120 with 6 guys and it will take 4 hours.

So they are going to split $120, 6 ways, for 4 hours of work???

THATS $5.00 AN HOUR!!!

5. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

????:hammerhead::hammerhead:Since when do hawthornes have thorns?? :confused: I assume we're talking about Indian hawthorn??? Dude-check your plants please!:nono: Unless you've got a different hawthorn your way!:laugh:

But seriously, I wouldn't touch it for that price, but like said earlier-if ya want-do it for that-it's more than you would make at your local Publix or whatever super you've got in your 'hood. I took on jobs like that just to get my name out when I started and I hated myself when the job was being done, but happy with my experience and (probable) good word of mouth the customer would be leaving with one of his/her neighbors or friends. Good luck!

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you not seen the insanely large thorns on black hawthorns? Ew. I hate running into those things while mowing.

7. ericmcj31

I am sorry-I stand corrected!:hammerhead: thanks--but no, we don't have those in our zone. I have NEVER seen a hawthorn with actual thorns!

8. jimithing31

jimithing31 LawnSite Member

Did you not read what he posted??? 4 hours with 6 guys? How long would that job take solo? Now either he posted his info wrong or this is a BIG job and for $120?? No thanks I'm sitting at home

9. ericmcj31

yeah-I realized that after I had posted--I agree, but I think his #'s are wrong. There's no way a company would quote that kinda price-heck-they'd be paying the homeowner to do the work!

10. JConner

JConner LawnSite Member

thanks i agree i thought the pri cewas to low.Yes indian hawthorns. i am thinking about doing the job for more $ but not sure how to wright up the proposal like
    X amount of $ for hawthorns
    x amount of $ for palms
    x amount of $ for dump + weeding
    ---------------------------------
    equals price
    does that sound good i dont prefer to work by the hour i dont make as much $