First big patio job! constructive criticism welcome

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mjslawn, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mjslawn

mjslawn LawnSite Member

I have completed a few small hardscape projects, this is my first big patio. I did for myself, at home :) I'm fairly pleased with the results of my summer evenings/weekends labor, but would welcome any constructive criticism as I want to get in more hardscaping. I need to fix a few details and sweep in the polymer sand yet. Also was hoping someone could recommend a sealer that would keep the pavers looking wet, is that even possible? I used a couple old pallets of pavers and also some newer ones, and I noticed a difference in the color, apparently the older ones faded or something, I'm hoping that evens out over time. I haven't pressure washed it yet, I hope that helps.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 5.JPG

2. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Looks nice

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I like it. Are you going to add railings on the steps?

4. mjslawn

mjslawn LawnSite Member

Eventually I will build a little reverse gable roof over the doorway, I hadn't even thought of railings but that would be a good idea. If I do railing I could just run it from the posts supporting the roof back to the house, I suppose. Also plan to build a pergola over a third of the patio this winter, and a hot tub if I can get one cheap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Can we see a pic of the house?. That siding is cool. Patio too!

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it does look like quite a spread and cool house.

7. xtreem3d

I might have to move :dancing:

8. mjslawn

mjslawn LawnSite Member

Thanks! The siding is white pine from when I cleared the lot, milled by my neighbor for a "live edge" reveal, I stained it using the PermaChink system.

222.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. xtreem3d

except for the foundation and shingles , it looks like a house from the late 1700-1800's..very nice

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I see alotta "SLIVERS" around the perimeter of the patio. With a modular paver there is no reason to have SLIVERS.

Perhaps you can return to the job and pull the SLIVERS out?

I'm not really feeling the steps.