1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first big ztr investment.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriplePLandscaping, Dec 24, 2005.

1. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

well ive been reading up on the different brands of ztr riders trying to make up my mind on what to get here is what has stuck out so far.
    used gravely 250 with 450hrs=$4800 (i swear it said 50in deck)
    new exmark lazer ct 48"=5400~5700 (one place lets u get either striper or mulch kit for free w/purchase)
    new scag tiger cub 48"=5975

i think im leaning towards the scag b/c i think its a better overall machine. ive cut with a 52" cub w/21hp kawi and it was great. havent used an exmakr or any other brand. i would appreciate any input. like i said its a tough choice between the cub and ct,
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Of those, the Scag sounds like the better choice.
    However, for around that price you can get a 25hp 60" Lesco Z like I have.
  3. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not a professional LCO, so I don't use mine everyday. However, I've owned a Dixon for over 20 years and used it commercially when I first bought it. The Dixon's are junk, but the newer ones are better. I got tired of fighting the Dixon and decided to buy a REAL ZTR that would hold up.

I looked at Scag, Hustler, Exmark / Toro, Dixie Chopper, Wright, Kubota, and I don't remember what else. I liked the Scag the best because it seemed to be a real heavy-duty machine AND easiest to service.

The Hustler was close, and would have been my second choice. It had smaller rod ends than the Scag. It had a flat footrest with adhesive non-skid (think peel) rather than the Scag's stamped steel non-skid surface. One of the new Hustler's I looked at already had the armrest broken off because somebody didn't raise it before lifting the seat for service. At the time, Hustler didn't offer a grass catcher, but I understand that they will be offering it this year.

The Dixie Chopper has a body that is very reminiscent of my Dixon. Difficult to work on and the stainless body looked like it would scratch easily and look like junk in one season. It looked more like a kitchen appliance.

I really didn't like the 90 degree bend in the belts on the Exmark. It's just extra bearings & sheaves to fail, and there's no reason for it.

The Kubota just didn't appeal to me. I walked into the dealership and nobody waited on me. I walked around their yard where they had a dozen mowers and still nobody came out. I left.

The Wright dealer didn't have a mower in stock for me to look at. Just a brochure that didn't have a lot of detail.

I ended up buying a used 48" Tiger Cub with 21 HP Kawasaki. It has 1200 hours on it, and it has needed a few minor repairs. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.

I drove the others at the dealer's lot, but I didn't actually cut grass with them. Therefore, I can't compare quality of cut with the other brands.

I put a Grass Catcher on mine, and it really does the job on leaves! I'm going to add the Donaldson air filter next.

Keep in mind that availability of local parts & service is important. Some brands are pretty regional.

Since you have considered a used Gravely, you might look on Ebay. I found my Scag in the Thrifty Nickel online. I had to drive 400 miles each way to get it, but there just aren't many used ones to be had in my area.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

go scag, you won't be sorry
  6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I know of a Wright Sentar ll 61" 25 hp Kawi. 550 hrs. I think he wants about $5200

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

AHHHH another scag story.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I have all John Deere equipment and nothing else is used by my business. But out of the brands you mentioned, I would go with the Scag. I looked at the Exmark CT, and it looked like a wanna be model. JMO.
  9. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

i cant go anymore than 52" decks on my lots. and a 52" cub is a little to much to afford right now as well, but the 48" feels right.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, the Lazer CT is nothing near what a Scag Tiger Cub is.
    The only reason they are being compared to each other is the eXmark's are overpriced.

The tiger cub is a real commercial machine.
    The CT is a high end homeowner machine.