First Bite!! (nervous!)

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Viking Aeration, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Viking Aeration

Viking Aeration LawnSite Member

Hi all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that after a bit of "grass roots marketing" dist, some nice cards I made up last Friday, I got a msg on my Bsns Cell today! (monday) A couple (knock on wood) seems intersted in having me over to discuss some nice Landscape Lighting! Well, remember I'm new! just starting out....I got the Vista Rep, ready to assist me on my first a question for everyone;

Since its probably obvious I don't really have a portfolio as yet, I was thinking that I would visit them dressed nicely, w/ cards and my nice big colour Vista Catalogue and perhaps 2-3 samples...1 spot, 1 Well and a Path light...ready to discuss what they might be interested in. Take a look at their house Tell them a bit about LSL, the benefits, etc..explaine some techniques, give them a few that might suite their home....and see?!!
    ** should I bring some photos showing different Lghting Techniques? y/n?

So, am I approaching this the right way? I am a bit nervous, I really want to go and be professional, put them at ease, and make it enjoyable! So just was wondering if here were any other ideas I could bring w/me? that all of you Pro's! have done?

Anyway thank you all for any support for a newbie and his first one...:canadaflag:

2. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Lose the vista rep and for sure lose the catalogue and go out there on your own and do your best. Just be yourself and give it your best shot. You will develop your own style over time. Your gonna have to b.s. a little since you've never done a job but the ends justify the means. Remember to tell them how busy you are. Good luck.
  3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Exactly what i did for my first big scape job, that included a 25' x 3'high retaining wall, planting and beds all around house, subbed out lighting....i went there with the block catalogue, (make sure of course there is not a price list anywhere to by seen) pictures of all different trees, shrubs, ect from the garden center that i printed from computer and set up nice in book, labeled....samples of mulch, stone, all labeled in ziplocks...i was nervous as hell, but when i walked in my house later with the $9000 deposit check I was happier than a pig in $hit! Needless to say it gave me the confidence I needed to scope more work.........good luck, you sound like you have it together........
  4. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

Back in February I was going to meet my first customer ever! It was a small commercial property, but a nice property. I walked out of that meeting with a signed yearly contract, and we have had very good reviews from the business owners, and also customers coming in wanting to know who is doing the property maint. Nervous, yes I was, but I was elated to come away on my first visit with a new property! Go in by yourself and act like you have been installing the lighting for 20 years. You will do fine! Good Luck!
    GreenNation Lawnscapes LLC
  5. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

I would agree, be yourself and by all means don't do any hard sell bit. I would recommend that if you choose to bring the catalog that you not make it the center of your presentation (the point is not to see the fixtures but the effect) I would spend the most time painting a visual picture of what the lighting will look like on their home. Good Luck.
  6. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Do a demo at night at your house first to be familiar with what these fixtures could do for you. Then show the customer a demo on their property. Get a good group of fixtures a spot mr fixture, a flood, a couple pathlights,a decklight , small mr-11 spot, as you go0 you will find more for your bag. Get a small 12v battery for mobility. A 7ah will work fine. :drinkup: