First Broken Window

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slawn, Aug 7, 2008.

1. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

After four years in the business I broke my first window today. I guess the good thing it was my own window, the back door window on the drivers side. How it got hit I don't know, must have bounced off something and hit it. I was lucky enough to find one at a local junk yard for $75.00. Guess it could have been worst.

2. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

one of my guys took out a thermal insulated sliding glass door window...$500 big ones for that!!!! Lucky you were able to find some glass cheap.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

well at least it was your own window and nobody got hurt

4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky you. My first broken window will probably be some antique stained-glassed window!!

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Nephew took out a little 12x16 window...the ones in a french door with like 12 of them..cost me almost $300 for that one. I Took out my passenger side window in a f250 I had....Full glass coverage took care of that one..Same nephew took out a 6' tall by 12" wide double pane...well its only a single pane now:rolleyes:. Havnt got the bill for that one yet............:usflag:

6. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

The guy that has the junkyard also has a body shop. I went figuring I would be getting a new window. He said I think I have a used one, and he did. He pop-ed it in, took about 5 minutes. He said a new one would be around $200.00. Saved me $125.00 :clapping: and after cleaning it up I can't tell the difference.

7. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

One of my guys broke a door insert. This had to be the insert that was discontinued and could not be replaced. No new inserts were available for the shape of the opening.
    Both doors had to be recut and fitted with new inserts. To top it all off we had to paint them after that. Slow and painful process and about $400.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

One of our guys just broke a full-length view, storm door window Tuesday to the tune of 55 bucks out of his check!!! This is after he ran our rider into the side of our enclosed trailer ripping a nice hole in it.

9. Brian1

Brian1 LawnSite Member

I have been pretty lucky and have only broken 1 in about 8 years, it was a french door window. Luckily it was pretty cheap to fix. I came close to breaking a big picture window once when I cut a tree limb, it hooked on the way down and it slammed into the window, that was some tough glass!

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I could be wrong. You can't legally take money out of his check for a accident?