First CASH offer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

After looking at a job yesterday and sending a proposal.. I was offered my first "cash deal" today. He is already getting nice discounts on full service with prepay.... $5568.75.

Wants to pay $5000.00 cash.

I could do this property for as low as $5050.00 and still make a profit but after a little thought... I think I'll take the $5568.75.. cash, check or charge.

I hope I get the job.

After 15 years... it kind of took me by surprise.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to sleep on that one Tom...

3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I myself would rather have the $5k cash job then have no job at all if he changes his mind because you are firm on your price

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Rod.. notice I said "little thought" and "I think"

I'm still not sure... this is a new neighborhood for me. Upscale golf community with Ravens players just moving in next door.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i would be appualed! how dare he try and minimize your professionalism with a cash offer! just WHAT could he have been insuating? did you tell him you are NOT that kind of businessman? i'd stick firm on my $5568

6. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

SWEET...I think I would take a chance with the $5000.00 cash and go for a new neighborhood that you might be able to get some pro athletes yards...you know theyll pay. You never know...this could lead to many upscale new yards where you can make some good money.

I normally would do as you said and ask for the other amount...but upscale neighborhoods have lots of new oppurtunities...and they have money to pay for it.

7. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Ya but you also might not get any homes in that sub-division, thus losing the 500 bucks.$500 is a lot loot to give up for cash. use your best judgement

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'd tell him cash gets you a discount of $3 and round down to 5565.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Basically an 11% discount for everything up front. I would make 42% net instead of 53% net for my own company. I always need a ton of start up $$$, so I think I would grab it. But to each his own...

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Tom ,the proverbial "carrot on a stick" to some clients is getting someting over you. I would explain you have already discounted the several services into a package deal for him, and impress your reliability and quality work upon him. I would think(I may be wrong, I don't claim to know it all :D ) if you dropped the price down again, he may feel he has won an "edge" over you, and will try and do so again for more work or when it's time to renew next season. Startup cash is king in the early spring, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the guy thinking he can " buy" me when the mood hits him. It would efinitely be nice to get into a new neighborhood with upscale potential homes, though. I would just go with your first gut feeling. Best of luck!

Bill