First Commercial Account.. How much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey guys, this is my first commercial account for me. I am pretty excited about it because i can get sooo many more from this area. Here is one of them. The guy wants the grass cut and bagged, the sidewalk and walkway edged and trim the shrubs along the building. 70 percent of the grass is about a foot and a half high and i dont think that it has been cut in a while. I only have my john deere 21'' mower. So it might take a little bit longer to mow. Any idea of how much you would charge? or how much i should charge given the things he wants done? Any info would help. Here are the pics..

picture 1463.jpg

2. Petr51488

from NJ

heres another pic of the new place that i got....

picture 1465.jpg

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the first cut (when it looks like that) i always charge about triple of the normal cost. There are too many factors though so I can't give you an exact price

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i would be very worried as to why that place is in that condition!

5. Petr51488

from NJ

the only reason why the place is like that is because the guy just bought the place and he wants me to maintain it. I need a price on it..

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ah lucky man. As Norm said, I would be worried as well, but since he just bought it and wants it fixed up sounds like it could be a good customer

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You start by asking how many cuts/year, how often bushes are to be cut. Then you est. how long it will take and work est. Keep in mind just because you have 21" you don't want to bid high and some guy with 52" will underbid you. You will have to suck it up a little. Any fertilize, weed control, insect control to be included. Normally fertilize for lawn is estimated and weed control under bushes. Trees would be extra so you give him a rate. Since this is old unit see if they have previous contract that states what is required (no. of mows etc.). I assume you want at least 12 month contract?

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Nince size place would like too see more photo's before I ya ya.

That will determine my rate another thing that may hurt your 21 deere.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

It is rather simple. Charge a clean up fee for the first time. Include things like trimming of hedges and the like and a fee for taking the waste to the dump. I figure between $60-75 per hour for clean ups and $75 dump fee. Don't tell the guy 10 hours at $60, just say $600 plus $75 for taking it to the dump. And include the mowing in this fee but don't itemize it out. What I mean is itemize what will be performed but not a dollar amount for each service. That way they don't think they can pick and choose.

Then for the rest, worst case weekly time to complete x hourly rate x number of weeks to cut = total cost

total cost divided by number of months in growing season (or 12) to level out your cash flow.

Remember, if in doubt, pad it a little. Cutting deals is cutting profit.

10. Petr51488

from NJ

the thing is that i don't have to worry about getting underbid. I am the only one who is going to do this. The guy asked me and he doesn't have anyone else to do it. Hes a good, rich guy, money is never a problem with him but i don't want to rip him off... ill attach a few more pics for who ever wanted them. thanks again.