1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Commercial BId...Fire away!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGG, Mar 17, 2006.

1. TGG

TGG LawnSite Member

I am doing my first commercial bid and have come up with some numbers so I hope that your critisims can help me out. Seriously, any help would be appreciated.

There are 100 townhomes with 3 small common areas. Each town home has its own front and back yard.

There are 4 massive apartment complexes with a substantial amount af turf for each.

I have estimated it at about 66.5 hrs for one person to do the entire complex. Service includes cut, tirm and blow.

I have a 21" and a 36" Turf tracer and will be mulching all the larger areas and using the 21" on the small.

Bid also includes Spring Clean up of debris and a power rake.

Fall includes aeration and debris clean up.

I might be including fert as well but have not decided.

20 mowing services= $2660x20=$53200
    Spring clean=$4500
    Fall aeration=$4500
    2 Weed control applications $3000

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

40 per hour is a little low..but on the hand your equipment is not really fit for that kind of job!! I'm also getting the feeling that you are under estimating the time it going to take you..I think your going to need to get at least two ztrs and probably have the man power to get out of their in one day. Most places will not one or two guys cutting for a couple days..
  3. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I agree with that last post I don't think you have the neccesary equipment to be taking on a job of this size. Besides I think you are underbidding yourself you might want to look over your numbers again. CAG is right there will be some pissed off people if you have to cut for 2 days they want it all looking nice in one day. For a cleanup that size your talking dump trucks with leaf loaders. And a power rake? you sure your not in over your head here?
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you can't do that job with that small of equipment
  5. TGG

TGG LawnSite Member

The plan was to have someone at the property throughout the entire week working on the townhomes as well as the trimming. It would only take me a day and a half to do the large areas and the common areas with the 36". As far a the power raking it would be a 4 day job. I have done a power raking job this size and it took 2 days with 4 workers. We finished with close to 100 bags of grass.

I agree that I may be in over my head but it seems doable.

Please keep the suggestions coming!!!
    Thanks again.
  6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

make sure you pass that idea over to the management co first.. I doubt it would fly if the wanted someone their cutting 5 days a week they could hire a worker for 10 bucks an hour, buy a walk behind for $3500 and save a lot of money..
  7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for a two year contract, if you get it, buy the equipment you will actually need to do this job.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

No way they are going to want a LCO there more than 2 days a week.
  9. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Your going to need Z TURNS. Youll be there all week and the mangement is not going to agree to that.
  10. Ollie3

Ollie3 LawnSite Member

I say go for it! Just re-check your numbers. If the homeowners dont mind you and your crew being there for two days then great. You can always reinvest some of your profits in a ZTR and really boogie. Just remember about the profit.