1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first commercial bid today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Appalachian landscape, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I bid on my first commercial property today. I asked the big wig district manager if the company had a standard contract they use or if I need to bring my own contract, and he said, "The company doesn't really use contracts, we like to do it where if you take care of us we'll take care of you." This sounds like BS to me. This is a large national chain, and the guy I was talking to was the manager for the southeast and he has 130+ stores. Does this sound like BS to anyone else? I find it very hard to believe that no one has a maintenance contract in the whole chain or even the 130 stores this guy is boss of.
  2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

around here the "lawn guys" make their own contract. I always made my own contracts anyways. I never heard of using there contracts. Its hard to believe that the manager or store not using contracts. It kinda sounds like he was mess'n with ya.

130 stores, wow, gas stations or resturants?
  4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You should've said you can take care of me by signing on the dotted line. I had a dealing with Arby's and they were the same way. They refused to sign any contracts with any vendor. I ended up dropping them all because they were a huge pita.
  5. Appalachian landscape

He said something about opening an accounts payable line for me? Something like that. I just send them the bill and within 10 days the check is in the mail.
  6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Something like that?

What exactly did he say,If there is a problem then walk away if you don't feel comfortable..A company as big as your talking could have a diffrent payable system.What is the company that your looking at...
  7. Appalachian landscape

I don't remember exactly what he said. He was kind of frustrating me. He would ask what I was going to do and want me to suggest somethings, and as soon as I would start talking he would interrupt our conversation with his cell phone. He must have got at least 10 calls, if not a few more, in the half hour I was with him.
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am curious here. Do you know about how old the guy was you were talking to. Could he have been looking for a gentlemans agreement with a handshake? Like asked before what type of chain is this?
  9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The only contract I have that is not one of my contracts is a Federal government contract, they have their own which is great because you know that every guy bidding is bidding on exactly the same work, there is none of this "well their bid also covered such and such" and they are another deal alltogather, the best thing is they pay in less than a week from the time I bill them.
  10. Appalachian landscape

early 30's, he had to run my numbers through the corperate office before he could commit. Anything over $500 has to be approved by the corp. The initial visit is almost $900. It's a retail chain.