First Commercial Job Professional Help Please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by joallen001, Jan 14, 2008.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

This will be my first commercial irrigation job so any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Hopefully some of you can read the drawing I made. I have a blue print but it is to big to scan. All of the measurements should be right on target. Basically I wanted advice on how one would layout the heads,valves, and most important the mainline and laterals. The meter was just installed so I do not have the pressure and gpm yet. From the meter I had planned on running the main water supply along the back of the property down to the 15x20 area. From there I was going to go the the front where the highway is located into the 20x15 bed and then acroos the entrance into the other 20x15 bed. In going from the back property to the front I was going to lay a three inch pipe to run the water line in and a 1/2 to run the irrigation wire. I had planned to run a 1inch main and laterals. Any recommendations on changing the main or laterals? As of right now I plan to do the back in three stations and the front in 2-3 stations depending on the pressure and gpm. I know this is a lot of info and I am takin up a lot of time but any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first commercial irrigation job so I want to do my best to make sure it is done right. I used Ewing last time on a irrigation job and ran into to several issues so I wanted to do this plan on my own. Again thanks for everyones help on the site. There is tons of advice on irrigation throughout the forums and I appreciate those that give it. Thanks again

01-14-2008 07;27;03PM.jpg

2. joallen001

from TN

Also I will have to run the waterlines from the back to front on the right side of drawing. There is another building approximately 10 feet to the left of this building.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A 1-1/2 meter could water the entire property in a single zone.

4. joallen001

from TN

guess that can be a good thing any more input on layout thanks for the tip

5. joallen001

from TN

Anyone use the irrigationtutorials.com

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

joallen, welcome to irrigation.

I guess I will be the first one to tell you, the head layout will depend on many different things.

What size water meter do you have.
    What is the static water pressure of the house.
    What types of plant material do you have, and where are they located.
    What areas are in the sun, and what areas as in the shade?
    Is the site completely level?

YOU NEVER WANT TO MIX ANY OF THOSE CRITERIA IF YOU CAN AVOID!!!!

Find out the gpm first, that way we know how many heads the zones can handle.

Did they teach head layout when you got your irrigators license?

Remember, place them on centers, not evenly like 4 corners of a square!!

7. joallen001

from TN

The meter is 1.5 inches and was just installed so I have not got the gpm and pressure yet. Most of the plant material will be carissa hollies and laura petalums. They will where I labeled the drawing for the beds. The area is full sun and fescue sod will be used. Not sure of what you mean by placing heads on centers, not evenly on corners. Thanks for the response

8. A 1 1/2" meter will provide about 100 gpm....

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Get your graph paper, and an engineer's ruler, and a drafting compass. Place heads, and draw an arc of coverage from each one.

You can avoid this exercise by using head-to-head spacing, and that technique lets you place heads a distance away from curbs and sidewalks, without losing coverage.

10. With a 1 1/2" meter you would be better off using a 1 1/2" main line...1" main can handle about 14gpm safely...I always work off the corners when designing a layout...