First concrete demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Nov 14, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

My first concrete slab demos. 2 slabs about 4-6 inches thick average. First one was 100'x20' with curb and a number of poles concreted into slab and ground and cut off at slab. The other was about 40' x 50' Pics are of first slab.

Never did it before so I punched holes with a 500lb hoe ram after I made my little grid then broke it up with my industrial grapple. Was out there 2.5 days including loading the tandem 10 times. Had a lot of trees to cut, stack, and grind stumps so it wasn't all concrete breaking but I think it turned out pretty clean and ready for builder to figure out where to put new slab.

I usually don't do this type of work but I do all these folks trees so I didn't another contractor coming out and ramming trees. I was amazed at how strong my little bobcat s330 was when handling the concrete with my 74" CI tooth bucket and the 66" industrial grapple. It has some power and felt much more stable than my 272c and s300 did. That little extra weight makes a difference. I also found out that sharp teeth on a bucket will cut rebar!

sloan demo.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Nice clean job not a little chunk of concrete in sight :drinkup:

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Was there alot of bar in the old crete? Clean work though.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious...why did you do a "grid" break out? Why not just go balls out and break everything?

5. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Nice work, Could you have done it any faster?

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That job is a little different from cutting brush and trees :laugh:

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Yes if I had run back to back tandems but I use the same guy who needed the fill and I had all the tree work, stump grinding, and a horse arena to prep.

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I figured with a grid I would punch holes like a perforated sheet of paper up and down and side to side. It broke out just like I thought it would. the hammer wasn't very strong, though but I wanted a clean job and my fill guy wanted 2x2' pieces. He's a friend so I was helping him out. Only a few slabs came out bigger than I wanted and I'm a little obsessive/compulsive so no, no rocks or chunks left over. You should see my tree work when grinding. I grind that stuff down to dust if I have the time. :laugh:

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good YellowDog.

10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow i told you that you would love that s330 its like driving a mercedes :laugh: where are the pictures of that baby?