First contracts of the year!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Mar 21, 2007.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

Well I recieved my first annual contracts this week. I have two accounts. I'm excited, yet nervous. Looks like mowing will begin next week here in KC and only two yards to mow. I need 38 more to support the family. I figure as the grass begins to grow more calls will come in, but I can't help but admit I'm a little scared. I have only 600 more flyers to put out, but planning on printing up about 1500 more on my home computer to hit the same neighborhoods again, probably next week. I have a classified ad in the major paper here and other ads here and there. I have apps in at HDepot and some other places just in case. Any advice from you guys on snagging more accounts would be great. I've tried following most advice on here. Just need to be patient I reckon. Thanks for reading my vent...I guess that's why this site is here.

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Be patient, as we get a little bit closer the calls will start to come in.
    I haven't even put out flyers yet this year and probably won't for at least another week possibly two.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Do good work and people will take notice and before you know it your phone will be ringing off the hook

4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

I've Found (most Homeowners) Want Quality Work For There Biggest Possesion (their Home) And That Comes From Exposer And Referals. Time,time, And More Time Will Build A Biz. Advertising Is Also Important. Homeowners Have To Know You Exist. Even If Not This Year Then Next. Good Luck.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

ive had great luck with putting a sign out in front of my house which is on a main road. the town made me take it down. if you know someone on a main road hand paint a sign, worked great for me in the past. now its just word of mouth. good luck

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

by the way, many are procrastinators

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Thats the best advice.

I put an ad in a local free paper last week. Well it snowd friday. Wonder why my phone is not ringing?

Be patient, Alot of people will call you when they need you. Remember that.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep plugging away with flyers...they work better than newpapers...I am in MO too and it was 82 here today...I will be out cutting next week and the phone is going to be blowing up with calls.

9. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I created this thread this morning. About an hour after I was walking a subdivision with flyers. Put out about 400 today. Got one call from those for a few weeks this summer. Got another call for an estimate on a clean-up, aerate, year long contract and some other work. They signed immediately. Profit will be $$300 on the clean-up and weekly mowing was at my minimum. I need to vent here more often!!!

Thanks for advice fellas. Us newbies need a pep talk every now and then!