1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FIRST CUSTOMER...how many said NO!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Jul 10, 2001.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Just a "WONDERING" type of question..........

When all of you first started out....you got that first phone call from all your flyers and such...a little ol' lady would like for you to cut her yard.....you go to take a look at it.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH a rundown old house that hasn't been mowed in weeks, yard full of debris and so on.....not the type of property you were expecting to be your FIRST customer...did you pass it up or cut it?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Cut it....

But charge accordingly! She may know a lot of other little ol' ladies... Plus, someone may see what a great job you did shaping up the place...

Kinda sucks tho...

How did she get the flier? If you put it there... your fault.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I just started running an ad in the "AT YOUR SERVICE" section of my local paper...thats where she got it!
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You're gonna get that from an ad... What did you do...say no?

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I told her that I will stop by tomorow evening to look it over...but I did a "DRIVE BY" tonight.

So I didn;t say yes or no reguarding cutting her property.
  6. i had gone to a house, where the landscaping was run down, house itself is worth about a million dollars. however if the house is in a good area, and you do a good job, people will notice. if you are in an undesirable area, then i would just say to pass on it.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

basically you ask if we have ever turned down work when we were new to the biz and had little work.

the answer for me is NO. but I did price a few out of reason so that if I got them they'd be worth it.

8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I'm with Geo, the undesirables I would price so if we did get them they were worth the while.
  9. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out there is not much that I wouldn't do. My answer to your question is "no" was not in my vocabulary when I started. I am happy to report that "NO" is a word I use alot now.:D
  10. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

TSG is right she may know alot of other old ladies. One run down place I cut the first year ended up getting me over 30 accounts because the old lady was part of some church group. I would even give her a deal if she's your first customer, that will increase the chance she'll tell all her friends. You can allways dump her or jack the price next year when business picks up.