First Customer

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by huntercook33, Oct 3, 2004.

1. huntercook33

huntercook33 LawnSite Member
    from Orando

Got our first customer today, $100 a month, twice a month off, four on. A little bit over grown, real fun up a hill with a 22" push mower.

yard3.JPG

lawnsweet.jpg

2. Palmer Lawn Care

Palmer Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Looks pretty good, how long did it take you to mow it?

3. huntercook33

from Orando

About an hour maybe an hour and 20 with 2 people. Ran out of gas once, so that took a good 20 minutes. But other than that, most of the time was spent pushing that mower up the incline which wasn't fun. And I now know why you guys don't like dogs.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Congrats on the first account.

What does "twice a month off, four on" mean?

5. huntercook33

from Orando

We mow twice a month on the offseason, and then four a month on the on-season

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I assume you charged more for that initial cut, being as it was overgrown?

7. huntercook33

from Orando

Nope, I didn't want to scare her and make her think there were hidden charges.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You work harder and it takes longer to do an initial cut on an overgrown lawn. You need to be compensated for it.

9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on getting your first job!

I think from this one you guys will learn a lot, as I have.

You will see over time:

1) you probably should have charged more
    2) you will probably need bigger equipment

You have to start somewhere though. make it a point to try and reinvest in your company, and grow it. SO maybe after a year, you can get a larger mower, and this property will only take half as long, if that.

Looks good though, indeed a lot of work for the push 22"

You said 2 guys were on it. Did you just have 1 mower? maybe you can pick up a cheap garage sale one just in the mean time to speed things up if that was the case?

Good luck with your business, and althought people may give you a hard time, stick with it if you are sincere about it!

GreenMonster likes this.
  10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

when I was just starting up I got lots of over grown accounts where the renters hadn't taken care of it and I didn't charge them extra for the exact same reason that you brought up. now I would charge extra for the fist cut because I can afford not to have that customer, but when it's your first account if you don't have that customer you don't have a business, just equipment sitting in the garage.