First Cut Cheap?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 15, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

So I'm going thru my local weekly paper that is great for advertising to a limited geographic area...

I come across an ad that reads as follows:

"Lawn Cutting - First Cut Cheap, Only $14.99. Call 732-xxx-xxxx"

:angry: :blob4: :dizzy:

Are you kidding me???

$14.99 for the FIRST CUT?

Now I'm honestly not sure if this ad is a JOKE or if someone out there is for real.

I've ran my usual ad and anyone who is calling *NOW* for lawn care has grass that is 14 inches tall and needs a weed wacker more than a lawn mower can ever do...

Maybe I'll save the phone number and call them in early July to see if they are still cutting....

2. HAHA no brains at work there........

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You should give him a call now and see if he answers.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Or if the phone is busy.

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Does that ad say first cut of the year??? If I call him to cut my grass for the $15, it would be his first cut at my place...

If it works for him and he lands some accounts, I like the idea except if its a 3 acre yard... I can probably mow 95% of the yards in my area in less than an hour, most in less than 30 minutes.. If he does 8 of these $15 cuts he might be making a little profit and if he lands 4 of them as regular customers its paid off...

Phone companies use the same idea ($160 credit for long distance calls) with hopes of the customer sticking around for the long term..

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

NO

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Just yesterday I got to thinking about first cuts. I am now realizing that with some of my new customers, I should have charged a bit more for the first cut. This is due to the overwhelming amount of trimming and sometimes twice cutting it. Now that this topic of a CHEAPER first cut is being discussed, I would NEVER do that......just from my experience

8. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Again, I don't think the guy is saying "First Cut of the Season", I think he is saying the first time he cuts it he will do it for $15...

9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

i'd sub-out some of my less desirable jobs, like the knee-deep ones with all the hidden treasures, where the kid says "hey mom the yard guy found my skateboard".:eek:

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Or, "Hey mom, they lawn guy found my 10 lb. pet rock. But it was in 2 pieces"