1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first cut height in ohio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BZB_Helpers, Mar 2, 2007.

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I work around the Cleveland Ohio area and would like some input on spring mowing heights. This is what I have done the past few years, first two cuts are at 2", next 4 cuts are at 2.5" then raise to 3" for the rest of the season until the last cut or so then down to 2.5". I used this program on lawns where the homeowner fertilized, chemlawn fertilized, or where no fertilizer was used. The results were that these lawns were the greenest in the summer compared to the neighbors and after i cut it was still green. Now I picked up another account where the homeowner never changed the cutting height, always 3", and when it gets cut you see brown(not scalping) until 2 days later then it turns green again.

Most lawn guys here bag most of the time due to excessive weekly growth and wet conditions.
    Am I right in my program setup?
    Any other advise?
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you cutting, or is the homeowner?? My first guess is dull blades.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I never cut cool season lower than 3". Summer we cut @ 3.5" - 4"
  4. BZB_Helpers

The account that i got mid season, the homeowner was cutting it when i took over, he used a craftsman 21" with no doubt dull blades. My blades are never dull as two of my fingers can attest too. Also, i've had some people want me to cut shorter than 3" in the summer, i tell them that it takes me 20 minutes to change cutting heights with air tools, they never say anything again.

I was just wondering if you guys start high or increase height over time?
    This is the only house that does that, so i thought it was because i didnt get to do my spring cutting height?
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Why the heck does it take u 20 min to change your height. All mt mowers can be changed within the time it takes me to write this :confused:
  6. BZB_Helpers

its a fixed deck and i dont just change the front caster spacers
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

bluegrass rye fescue probably what you got mow 3.0 and work oyur way up through the drought. I never mow less then 3.0 until fall.
  8. BZB_Helpers

Drew: am i wrong in the way im doing things? What is the difference between you cutting below 3" in the fall versus me in the early spring and fall? they both have the same temperatures.
    i cant go over 3", some people just know and will mention to me to lower the height.
  9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I would never ever scalp cool season grass down to 2 inches never ever !!! I start at 3 inches and go up as season progresses some of my lawns are cut at 4 inches by mid june thru sept then go back to 3.5 for oct by nov 1 and cleanups back to 3 inches
  10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

in the spring you are ading more stress opening up more sunlight to weed seeds in the soil and also are producing more than likley yellowing due to extreme growth removal. This is all very unfavorable for the above grasses.

in the fall weed germination is hardly a factor except for winter annuals which will die in spring and we are also protecting the the above grasses from wind burn, snow mold and it also helps debris blow right across our customers properties. Also you have a slight gap for winter growth without it looking to shaggy prior to first cut.

i am not saying I am right but what I have learned from school and working at many diff. locations this works best for us. also when temps go up or rain becomes rare we raise up the height 4.0 - 4.5

all most people know is green is good so we keep it as uniform in color as possible and it is workin good so far.

just ask believe it or not their might be some useless information somewhere in my head.