First cut of year, mulch or discharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Mar 26, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first season in business. Curious as to what you seasoned veterans do on the first cut of the season. Do you mulch, or discharge?<p>I've been thinking that I'd blow leaves from beds onto lawn than go over with mower with mulching kit on. Might have to mow twice to get it looking good.<p>If you guys do discharge, do you switch to mulch after the first cut?<p>I'd like to be able to mulch from first cut to the last cut.<p>The mower in question is a 52&quot; Lazer Z.<p>Just like some thoughts from you veterans out there.<p>Thanks.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I actually do both all the time. The nice thing about owning Dixie Choppers is you can close off the chute with the OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) on the fly. If you see a bunch of leaves, close if off and mulch them. If not, leave the OCDC open and let the clippings fly. I also like the OCDC around flower beds and other mulched areas where you don't want to blow clippings.<p>The only time we actually mulch a lot is in the fall when we chop leaves. Sure beats picking them up. :) <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  3. Jason

Eric,<br>Thanks, that's one feature of the Dixies I really like. Been thinking of making a ocdc for my Lazer. But for now gonna see how it works without.<p>Anybody else have any feedback? Do you discharge the first cut than mulch the rest. Or do you mulch from the first to the last cut?
  4. valhalla

valhalla LawnSite Member

I mulch period. If the grass is long and begins to clump up I just double cut. Eric<br>on your dixie chopper what blades do you run<br>that allow you to mulch or discharge at will...Brian <p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Valhalla, I use a high lift blade and a Gator on each spindle, but about any combination works fine. Just try what you have before buying anything else.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I mulch all the time.<p>Make the first cut early enough so youre not chopping off too much at once. Plus you get an extra cut in for the season.<p>Bill
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i do all my spring cleanups in mid march so that i have no problem discharging my first cut, thee is no leaves left to get rid of! the entire year i also side discharge. you just need a good mower that dosnt clump and discharges very evenly!
  8. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

Eric, <br>When you say one on each spindle do you mean one high lift on one side and a gator on the other side?<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
  9. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

Thanks to eric now my yards stand out more than before,and they look way better than my comp....I use 2 sets of high lift blades and I keep them I dont know if its neccesary to keep both sharp or not but i didnt hear otherwise so i do.....p.s. you will love the way it stripes the lawns(even on brown yards)I will never run a single set again,,,,Tim
  10. Jason

Just installed the mulching kit on my Lazer. I've heard great things about it's ability to make leaves disappear. How about pine needles? I've got a cleanup on tuesday, the lawn has lot's of pine needles. I'd love to be able to run the lazer over them and mulch them into oblivion. Any thoughts on this?