First Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Feb 17, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I can't wait!! Been couped up all winter with the wife and I'm pulling my hair out.

When does everyone usually get their first cut of the season in?

Around here I can never get going before mid march at the earliest. Last year I didn't start some of my accounts until April. I sure hope we get some rain this year.

2. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

LOL I think I only missed one week due to rain. I was usually able to to work around it. I do kind of envy you guys who get a break. But then again, it's been steady.

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

First cut usually comes around the 2nd week of April on average...we're out a few weeks earlier though doing cleanups & mulching etc. Can't wait to get back to the daily grind...sitting around all winter is getting old...
    One good thing though...we've got 12" of snow coming so at least we'll have something to do for the next few days!:blob4:

4. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

lucky you we havent droped blades in almost 2mo. now and Im cursing you guys as Im watching the weather channel you just had 12"+ a few weeks ago this is nuts wheres our snow storm?
    WE usualy start cutting some lawns the 15th of April but not full blast till May 1st So all my time is spent marketing for now. We start mulching and cleanups as soon as weather permits. Last yr we tried doing a 20 yd mulch job the first week of April but it was a pain cuz there was huge Frozen chunks of mulch.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

April 22nd for us in 2002. Usually about the same every year. Looking to get some landscape work going in middle of March though. Been a long less than profitable snow season here in southern Wisconsin. It should feel good to generate some revenue.

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I started about 5 weeks ago. It's a little bit of a gamble but I've also been installing annuals. We still have a chance of frost but not real damaging like you guys get back east.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm telling customers AROUND the beginning of April.

I am going to try to do some patch work(removed two trees in Dec) and garden tilling. and even build a raised garden bed , mid march. I'll start cleanups as soon as the weather allows.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the weather, 1st cut usually around 1st or 2nd week of April. Also start spring clean-ups around 1st or 2nd week of March. Looks like this year may be later due to snow. 14" on ground now and today's storm may bring 12" - 16" more.

9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

first week or two of March

10. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Last year started 2nd week of APril. Should be a little earlier this year with no snow on the ground! I hav started to schedule spring cleans already first on 3rd week in march

Aza:blob3: