First cut

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dkraft, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

I seeded my 1 acre lot on July 30th with a mixture of rye, fescue and kentucky bluegrass. It has now been a little over 2 weeks and the grass has come in very well. I think the rye and fescue have germinated but I don't know about the bluegrass. The length is about 3 1/2 or 4 inches. There are some bare spots. My question is when do I cut for the first time? If I cut before the bluegrass is up will I prevent it from germinating? Do I start to reduce my daily watering? Should I use a push mower rather than my rider for the first few cuts? Thanks for your help!!

2. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

Someone out there must know the answers to my questions.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sorry dkraft,
    My question is when do I cut for the first time? If I cut before the bluegrass is up will I prevent it from germinating? Do I start to reduce my daily watering? Should I use a push mower rather than my rider for the first few cuts? Thanks for your help!!

1.You can cut it now if it's 4 inches.I wouldn't cut it less than 3 - 3.5 though.If you wait too long,you'll stress the grass more by having to cut a larger amount off of each blade.
    2.No,you won't prevent it from germinating.I do wonder though,why it hasn't germinated yet.
    3.If your grass is green and healthy,go ahead and reduce your watering.I'd still water once a day though.Slowly wein your grass from it's watering dependance.If you've been watering twice daily,go to once daily,then every other day,
    4.It doesn't matter which mower you use.The seed is established and growing,so running a rider over it won't hurt.