1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first day back, what would you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, May 17, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

After all that rain, lawns are higher than usual as i havn't been able to mow them in a week and a half, and i expect to mow again in another three days as they will continue to grow rapidly due to the amount of rain on top of the sunny days ahead. My question is that for those who typically mulch or discharge like me, if you were in this situation would you bag now or would you just double cut? I rarely ever bag, but it is an option if thats the best thing to do
  2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

What kind of grass? And how is it that you're going to go back and cut in three days?

Here in central Texas, cutting St. Augustine, if I was going to be able to go back in three days and cut again, I think I'd raise my mower to the highest setting now, and lower the next cut. If that was still higher than normal, I would lower again the following cut.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thats the plan for today, mow high then go back in a couple days and mow reg. height
  4. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

You don't catch grief from the customers cutting so close together?
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sometime I hear about it, but then I point out the fact that they also went a week & a half w/o mowings. They usually understand. If not:hammerhead:
  6. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

if i dont usualy bag i dont bag. if it clumps up explain to them why. tell them that next time you mow it will get re-absorbed back into the lawn. never had a problem with people not understanding.
  7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I'd raise the cutting height and double cut if needed.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

MCW we are going to double cut and bag all the properties. The clients will pay extra but they understand what needs to be done...
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This is what I do, and it works when cutting in the rain.

When I cut (mulch) I usually let the mower chug through until i gets bogged down a lot.

I run over to a side walk or street and shut off the blades letting the pile drop from the deck.

I do this in all thick areas when its wet or really tall, you just keep going back and forth and its actually faster than double cutting.

In the end you just go and rake the pile up and put it in a bag.
  10. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Personally I would have mowed in the rain. Thats what I did a couple of weeks ago when it rained every day. Trust me people understand you have to do what you have to do when it rains. Takes longer, but at least your not screwed like you are now. I never had 1 complaint that I mowed in the rain.