First Day EVER

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sgrprincees, Apr 14, 2006.

1. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here it goes.

Today was my first day of doing work for people. I just recently got a 1989 Dodge W100 (which has NO rust somehow) but need to get it wired up for electric trailer brakes and trailer lights before I can get a trailer, since my 1996 Mercury Sable can't tow the trailer I'm thinking of. Since I can't tow the trailer I want, wednesday night I drove with my dad about 4 hours one way to borrow a 5x10ish trailer from my uncle. And without the bigger trailer, I can't buy a ZTR! All because of some stupid electrical crap!

Today I did a bunch of powerraking and aerating, renting both, but I had greatly underestimated the amount of thatch that powerraking would generate. I filled my trailer to the top once, and about 50% to the top after that. According to one of my friends, the sable towing the loaded trailer made quite a comical sight. I quit at dark, but was only able to get done as much as I did because a friend of mine who has a lot of mowing crap came and helped me out after he was done with his work for today. Tomorrow I need to work for a few hours to finish what I wanted to get done today, which wouldn't bother me, except that tomorrow was supposed to be a marathon homework session.

I was really worried about today, but now that it's over, I think I did ok, and I'm definitely a lot more knowledgable now than I was even 16 hours ago.

2. eight1seven

eight1seven LawnSite Member

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Congradulations on your very first job.I suggest you get equipped better before taking on more work or your gonna loose money.

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats on your first day! We all started somewhere. Sheshovel is right about the gear. Here is my bit of advice.... Always try to find a way to work smarter not harder, don't comprimise quality, listen and read what is posted on here with an open mind, learn from your mistakes, be humble, give thanks for all that is good especially your health, family and freedom which allows you the oppurtunitiy to do this! Good luck to you! Jeff

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds somewhat the way I started out, towing a trailer with a 1988 Ford Thunderbird (well it had a V-8 so don't laugh too hard).

After my initial experience it dawned on me that they were right: Keep working for someone else and save, save, save your money until you have enough to buy the basics: You really need 5 - 10k and unfortunately more is better.

Two years later I had my 5k and was in my usual rush to jump off the cliff where I couldn't see bottom but I did make it, just wish I had saved more money to start out with.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How big is the trailer that you need, and will it be enclosed or flatbed. I have a 6x12 flatbed that I pull with a Chevrolet Blazer, and I am not wired for brakes. If it is an enclosed trailer I see where you may need trailer brakes, but if it is a flatbed I would check with another dealer.