First day GPS test-failed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by domain311, Jan 9, 2011.

1. domain311

domain311 LawnSite Member

So we just got gps units installed in our trucks this past week...I am very much looking forward to using them...they will be helpful for sure in many ways. The details are awesome.

They already helped today...on the first day of use...

During the last storm we got a new driveway someone had referred us to....so I'm assuming the homeowner called my employee directly, either thinking that's what he was supposed to do or maybe he thought he could save money by going directly to the driver (I'm guessing they exchanged numbers last time)....whichever the case, my driver took advantage of it and did the driveway.

I asked him which he did today and he made no mention of this one.

I saw it on the gps. I went to the property to see that in fact was plowed. I saw the matching tread to the truck in the snow. And I'm sure I can find it in the phone records if I want to go any farther with it...

I haven't said anything to him yet...

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know...maybe I'm old school and I might get a ton of heat for this...but you shouldn't need GPS to track your employees. They should know what you expect and the consequences of not delivering. I believe in "trust but verify." I don't think GPS is "verifying." It's more "watch over because you don't trust."

Maybe it's different in your operation. I don't know. I'm young and have a lot to learn. I mean no disrespect.

Sorry.

3. domain311

No worries...thanks for your honesty and I appreciate your opinion.

I guess I view it a bit differently. Yes, I will use it to see what's going on with the trucks and crews. I think it is the best way to do so and near impossible for us to do otherwise. On its first day of use its already showed to me that it was a good investment. Unfortunately, some people will take advantage of a situation even though it may be the wrong thing to do. There is no way I would have known about this otherwise...and it would have went on for I don't know how long, ultimating costing the company $$$ along the way. Trust will obviously only go so far and in my opinion and its just not possible to verify everything.

It is also great for many other things such as billing time, checking on progress throughout the day to see if we can maybe add something to their schedule (without having to call and try and get them on the phone), seeing who may be closer to the next job we need to do, etc. It will definitely save money for us too.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

domain. it looks like you have been trusting, and are now verifying. look at gps like you would as any other tool.

while we don't have GPS on vehicles at GU, our area is loading with speed/ red light cameras. My office neighbor is the fleet manager. so I get to see some of the pictures. so far none of my my employee have been caught, but I keep a tight leash on the truck keys.

Again we would never know about this stuff if not for the cameras. we were trusting but unable to verify. The biggest problem we face is other department don't have the key control/key tracking...So no way to verify who was driving. We did however find one that was doing 85 in a 35. he was suspended for a week...and had his driving privileges revoked.

Honestly...you have en employee that stole from you. He stole time, he stole life from your truck. He exposed you to liability they you did not get reimbursed for. He got paid twice, once by you, and once by the homeowner.

If it was me...He'd be an unemployment statistic. Chances are hes' done it before. but you never had the tools to check.

Honesty and integrity are very important to me. it would be a very strong message to any other employees.

5. domain311

Right...like you said, I too believe something similar may have already happened. Honesty is extremely important to me as well...and I have to say it downright sucks that this has happened. I like him, he is a good employee otherwise and also runs the crews....but I don't think I can justify any other option than termination on this.

6. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do not mind me asking what GPS tracking unit did you purchase?

7. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Just to avoid some complications....if they don't know that they are on gps..... I'd wait until the next storm, watch him on the map. Odds are he will squeeze that one in on the same route, set up a geo fence notification for when he goes to that site....then log into the account and kill the fuel pump...that will be an interesting phone conversation for when he calls and is stuck in that drive way broken down.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

I would also like to know what gps units you went with. There are a lot of different options out there and some are very expensive. I would be interested in doing this for my business if I could find something affordable.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I vote this threads title be changed to "Bring on the Police State"

10. domain311

I went with http://vehicletrackingsolutions.com/ They only serve NY, NJ, CT and Long Island though...so depends on where you are. Lease the units with no upfront costs, they install them no charge and its $40.00 per month, per vehicle.

I originally bought from http://realtrackgps.com/ but sent the units back. The service itself was cheaper per month but overall I felt the one I went with was more detailed and a bigger company with better customer service.