First Day of Fall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Sep 21, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

First Day of Fall Tomorrow

How are the colors in your area? Changing early, or hanging in there?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Birch, Elm and some Maples are dropping now with out any color. You can see a change starting on the hillsides.

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. LawnSite Member

Yes, I have noticed that too. Leaves are dying before they change color. Way too early up here too. Perhaps as they are saying we are in for an early bad winter.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Some of the poplars here just dropped the leaves with no change in color, looked at an oak this eve and the leaves are going from green to a reddish brown, kinda odd this year
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

cherry trees are almost completely down. sycamore on the way to finishing. maples just a little color.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah, a lot of birch and maple dropping leaves already that didn't turn. The maples around wetlands are perfect color right now.

edit: Hey admin, pumpkin smiley don't work :dizzy:
  7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

everything is turning here. Maples, birch, some aspen, started turning in August. I've been mowing over leaves for a couple weeks now, nothing major but fall came a little early this year.

Snow is not far off!!!!! :blob3: Better get that plow on.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am hoping for a light winter. I hope nothing like last year, that was nutz :dizzy: I know one week last year in January I put in around 92-105 (I think it was close to 98 hrs) hrs of snow removal, not fun!!! It took me 3 days to recover, and then after those 3 days, went right back at another snow system
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I thought it was going to cool off, but it hit 94 for a brief time yesterday.
  10. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

It was 82 up here yesterday and should be about 85 today and mid 80s tomorrow. Seriously, here in Michigan, summer just happened to be in Fall!!! I have been mowing over leaves for a couple weeks now, not tons, just a few leaves here and there. Some crimson maples are changing here but with this late boom of heat, it might take a while for leaves to fall now. I hate the warm fall's, last city pickup for leaves in about the week of November 20th or so each year, they do it before Thanksgiving anyway, but sometimes many spots will have leaves into December. It creates a real mess around here but it does help for the spring clean up.