1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

First day shenanigans!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bmxerss, Apr 17, 2013.

1. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

So today was my first day working at my new clients house. First thing that went wrong, my mower fell into a gulley, Instead of edging, theres a gully, and my blades scalped a nice little spot all the way to dirt. Then, i wasnt paying attention, mower ran into a timber, prompting me to slap my pelvis into my handle. Then, cutting hedges, my hedge trimmer stops working, it started pouring rain, and i had to leave. But at least i have a decent contract with them! :clapping:

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

It can only go up from there!

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Atleast you didnt launch your mower into a stream!!! My first day, first morning last year and I launched my 36" into a stream while fumbling with my earmuffs. No chains in the truck, had to use tie-downs and the exmark to pull it out while I stood in the stream pushing while my son pulled. What a horrible day

4. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

this house has a large hill leading to a lake, hopefully she won't take the plunge. lol

5. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

My first day one of my guys dropped a
    Brand new stihl kombi and busted the housing and we ran over something in the road in construction One and blew out a tire on the trailer. It seems like every year the first day is BAD!!!

6. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

my first day this season i broke the front wheel off my exmark metro on the first cut of the season, new customer.. first time cutting a lawn with it. the customer had come out to point out a stump, but we couldn't find it... I guess i did! I fninshed up the 14,000 sq. ft. lawn with my 21" push as well as most of the other lawns in the area that day, it wasn't so bad tho, it was just a minor repair that afternoon and i was back in biz.. :) I still don't know what exactly happened, but I am extra cautious on that yard from now on.

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I had the pleasure of replacing bearing spindles while vaguely remembering they had started to go bad late last season and I recall putting up the Z for the winter THINKING I should fix it during the slow times, well you can guess what I did NOT do in January-February but fortunately it "let" me mow 6 yards with the bearing hollering which was a very nice touch.

8. btlg 440

btlg 440 LawnSite Member

Hi- I'm new to the forum. I love the first day back when you get 'reminded' of the stumps from last year. Luckily shaft and blade are ok but the noise made the client look out the window! Smiled waved and kept it going.

Have been looking at this forum for tips for years but just registered, you all are full of great advice and thank you to everyone.

9. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

Third time cutting new customer and the grass is growing lime crazy. Had to double cut, deck kept getting clogged up and stopping the blades. Ugh. Taking the mulching kit off for a while.

10. stephen@freedom

stephen@freedom LawnSite Member

There is not enough time or space to tell about everything that went wrong this year as we went back to cutting grass. Just remember what don't kill you will make you stronger..lol..quick version, got stuck 3 times, landscaping trailer jumped of the ball because someone forgot to lock it, 2 hours late getting to new customers..we could go on but its killing me just to live that day again in my mind. unbelieveable! I guess I was making up for other years when everything was normal.