1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First day with me not on job site

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eshreve1234, Aug 4, 2005.

1. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Saturday will be the first time I will leave a crew unattended on a job site. Cell service will be available, but I am still nervous. Any tips from the veterans on making sure the crew does well?
  2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Drive by and check the jobs after they finish them.
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

jump in an automobile that your crew will not recognize. take a drive by or sit down the street and watch for a little while. some guys can be trusted some not so much. just ease into it, and don't just pull yourself away completely.
  4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Give very clear instructions and set expectation before you send em out. Then doublecheck their work.
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't trust them to do the job correctly, then you aren't ready to send them out on their own. If you have to arrive incognito to see if they are doing the work, then you aren't ready to send them out on their own. You either trust them and their judgement or not. End of story
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have employees but am with you on this one, don't go out on a limb if you think the limb might break. No I would not recommend the drive-by, if any of your crew sees you, that's bad news because they're not stupid and they will know what you're doing.
    I say let it go, hope for the best and expect the worst, LOL, I think you might get ONE phonecall but likely you will be pleasantly surprised :)