First dealers neglect then mine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-Bone, Feb 26, 2001.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

A year ago last Sept. I purchased a new aerator which now has approximately 75 hours of use. I am currently 5 mo. beyond warranty. As I performed winter maint. I discovered the gear reduction box has never had oil in it. I realize we shouldn't take forgranted just because you buy something new and the dealer services it before delivery,that it dos'nt need double checked (MY MISTAKE).My question is what would your expectations of the dealer be to make this right?

Thanks for your input.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, if it's out of warranty, It's OUT of warranty. That's why they have dates to a warranty.
    Second, if you have a good dealer and he agree's that it was surely dry from the factory, see what he'll do to help you out. They missed checking that in setup so he is somewhat to blame. But did it leak out over time and if nobody did any maintenance on it, it couldn't have been detected in time. I find it hard to believe that it was dry from the factory and it worked for 75 hours. It's a sticky situation no matter how you get it handled. Good luck with the outcome! ;)

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't matter what any of us think, sounds like your stuck with it regardless. Is it messed up?

4. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

The unit is spotless. no leaks .It was just overlooked by the factory ,the dealer and then myself.
    The dealer asked me to bring it in and he would talk to the vactory rep. after taking it off and looking at it seems ok but at the mimimum I believe the bearings should be replaced.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

This is really out of the dealers hands I believe. Yeah, he should have checked it, but this is more of a manufacturer quality control issue. Make sure you are there when the factory rep visits. I would expect them to take care of this, afterall it would be a very small cost to them.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I had an edger delivered ready to go.Cranked it
    up and edging away when the engine siezed.
    Im sure I dont need to tell you what was wrong.
    Talk about feeling really stupid.My service man
    let me off the hook a little tho.He blamed the
    seller for delivering it that way.But still WHEW.
    He broke it loose w little damage.

7. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I don't know about the aerator, but the dealers have to do a pre-delivery check list on mowers, which on the lists I have seen include CHECKING ALL OIL LEVELS IN THE MOTOR AND GEAR BOXES. It is my understanding machinery cannot be shipped on van lines with oil in anything but sealed containers. If the truck or trailer turns over the oil will spill out through breather ports. If I buy a new piece of machinery and the dealer is suppose to check it out before delivery and the seals aren't leaking, It has oil in it. Most manufacturers put tags on the machinery in very noticible places warning to check oil levels before initial use, because most likely there is none in it. As for the patching up of a new machine which has been run without oil and LOCKED UP, If it wasn't my fault, I payed for a new machine and I want a NEW MACHINE! Not a patched up new machine!

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

As a dealer, I have a check list with every machine that comes in. Whether it's checked upon delivery to me or I check it when I'm delivering it to the customer. I always show my customers how to check fluid levels. You as a consumer should insist this is demonstrated for proper maintenance.
    If you have a good relationship with your dealer, he should give you a break and absorb some of the costs.
    I guess if it would have been purchased online, you would be S.O.L!

9. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

better to be safe then sorry, check the oil or replace the engine.