First "dirty water" quote???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants a quote for a 1000-1200' row of trees. The average width is 40'. He is going to have fabric around the trees so wants water in the "vicinity". After consultation, the customer would be satisfied with heads on one side.

I have selected a pump with 46 gpm. outflow available if the pump is on the "beach" and lifting 20'.

My experience is all with 1" stuff but I think I can go bigger here for zone reduction etc..

How about saddles for 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" poly?

Should I run some 1 1/2 for mainline and then drop back to smaller or valve and zone accordingly?

Thanks guys (gals) Starting to get going again here after winter.

John
    :confused: :confused:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

And I thought this thread was about me.

In my experience, Once you get over 1", PVC gets a LOT cheaper than poly.

I'd use Hunter PGP's with low angle nozzles to keep water off the branches.

With heads on one side, your going to get a lot of dry triangles behind the tree's.

With 46 GPM, you could probably cut it down into reasonable 6-8 zones.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

When you say "in the vicinity" and "fabric around the trees" do you mean that he wants a system to water the trees only or is he looking for a system that will support grass also?

The times I've run into fabric is because they are putting in some type of planter effect and will mulch also, using the fabric as a weed barrior. Good luck if you're the one that will be doing any line repairs in the area of the fabric combined with roots from the trees. It's a real PITA. :p

After you post the answers I'll give you a better response. :)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A 20 foot lift is a bit much. Not impossible, but getting towards the point at where pump performance will suffer, with any suction line head loss and/or inlet filter clogging. Far better to locate a pump closer to water level and push, rather than pull, the water into the system.

46 gpm in a 1000 foot run calls for 2 inch pipe as a minimum.

5. PurpHaze

And... We still don't know what his pressure will be at the top of that lift.

6. Wet_Boots

Doesn't really matter, as far as the recommendations for pipe size and pump placement goes. Pumps get squirrelly beyond 20 feet of lift, and you have to examine the actual performance curves, and not some numbers on a chart. You can see that 50 gpm and 2 inch pipe are a decent match, with about 10 psi lost over the 1000 foot run.

7. PurpHaze

True... according to the charts 2" main line would be sufficient. However, I'd still like to know the pressure at the top of the lift from the "performance charts" so you'd know what you're playing with. :)

8. Wet_Boots

Certainly, more details would be welcome, but in general, it isn't good economics to have to specify additional pump performance to overcome friction losses in pipe. For a single-stage pump, and trenched irrigation, even larger pipe would be in order.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

IF we are just watering trees......(have to wait for a reply to Hayes's question), why not live w/ 25-30 gpm and 1" poly using drip type flood bubblers. Filtration will depend on the quality of the source and just how "dirty" it actually is, but unless the trees are really close together, one line should do it if it is planned properly. 1200' of 10' centers is only 120 trees x 5gph bubblers is only 600gph total so only 10gpm? Why over pipe and over pump if we are just watering trees? You can get some decent micro sprays that could be staked next to each tree for that matter that would not exceed the 5gph mark and still throw a decent distance.

10. PurpHaze

Damn it BIC... At least I was gonna wait until I found out more. Now you've done gone and ruint it. :p