First Draft of Grass Seed Care Instructions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jul 30, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a PDF file of my 1st draft of care instructions. Written in narrative form.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

What's the intended use for the document?

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ah.... After hardscape their is more often than not lawn restoration involved. That requires the diligence of the homeowner and a basic education with this information sheet

4. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

If I put myself in the shoes of the customer:
    - I'm not interested in 90% the blurb at the top. It doesn't offer me any value.
    - The doctor/infant/parent story is a nice touch.
    - The rest just gives facts. It doesn't actually tell me specifically what to do. How much do I water? When? How do I know when it's too wet/dry? Pictures? How do I know the temperature of the soil?

Perhaps you could have a simple checklist for each day or week

e.g.

"Your grass was seeded on ______.

blah blah brief intro

Day 1 - Check X and do Y
    Day 3 - Check A and do B

<insert instructions on how to do each thing you list above>"

5. DVS Hardscaper

Purposely do I NOT want to say "how much". U don't know their water pressure, watering device(s), water practices, etc.

If a client can't dis cipher wet from dry - then they probably can't walk and talk on their cell phone at the same time either......

6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Looks good. Do you have the option to charge your clients for sod?

7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe from precious posts you like to set yourself apart from other contractors in the sense that you like to be more personable with your customers. That's great. I also take this route.... Just today I had a major ball busting rant jokingly with a customer. However I would never hand this to a client. It sounds totally unprofessional, and if I was a homeowner I might even be offended. If my insurance company sent me a letter saying 'folks' and mentioning babies... I would have a new insurance company

8. DVS Hardscaper

Drake - Mcdonalds has an option for extra cheese so of course we lay sod. Heck, if someone wants to pay us to run laps around the block we will do laps around the block.

9. DVS Hardscaper

So you think then maybe I should just tell them to google water and care instructions?

And what's wrong with using infants as an example? It's true, even more so with sod, as sod is perishable, and that's something people can relate to. great analogy. It drives the point across.

When you kid was born did it come with the extended warranty?

10. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Biggest problem I see-use your judgement- most people have terrible judgement.

We need an east coast hard scape convention, I need to meet the guy who writes this stuff