First Dumb Phone Call Of The Season!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Proc's Lawncare, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Well... It's offcially spring! Just got off the phone with our first dumb@** of the year!!

Customer called for our "lowest priced lawn service" and when I told him about our company and service provided that we could come out and give him a free estimate and he basically wanted a ballpark price... (Which is fine and saved me a little drive time) After the quote, he proceeded to tell me I am a horrible business trying to take hard earned dollars from the community I live in... Bla blah blah... I should be ashamed of myself and how could I expect someone to pay this much and it should be the same price as a hair cut...no more then $9-$10 dollars a week! Blah blah blah... What do I have to say for myself....

I politely told them we offer an excellent service at a fair price and that we have a special discount program available for people just like him... He paused, and asked what that price was and I added $20 dollars to the original quote per week!

To my surprise he hung up the phone....

Gotta love spring!! :) Anyone else have an interesting call or estimate yet?!

2. Please_Be_Green

Please_Be_Green LawnSite Member

I've got to wonder... how many potential customer's do you think you won't even get the call from by being a smarta$$ with just one of them? While funny to read... I don't think it's good business.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Potential PITA calls, and usually you can weed them out over the phone, I just state that "sorry, my schedule is already full right now, I just can't take on any more". They appreciate it because at least I'm not telling them I'm going to come give and estimate and not show. If they ask for the usual "ballpark price over the phone" BS I just say that I can't come close unless I can see the lawn. The people with common sence say "ok" the people that are just looking for CHEAP lawn service will then start describing their lawn to me over the phone, and it usually starts with "It's a really small lawn". :laugh:

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Pardon me, but when you get some idiotic moron bottomfeeder calling and talking to you like that( insulting you) and wanting a 9-10 dollar cut these are the folks that need to be insulted. I am a nice a person as you could meet but I can't stand stupid and you can't fix it! I think he was nicer than 99% of most folks including me would have been!

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

When they ask for a "ball park price", I simply tell them that we don't mow "ball parks".

The people that this guy will tell about you being sarcastic, are not the customers that you want. But more than likely his friends probably know that he is a cheap arse. Wouldn't worry me one bit.

6. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

ha i thought that was pretty funny.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

that was beautiful! i gotta remember that one! :laugh:

i'm getting just about the same thing, people want to know a price over the phone, i say, can't give an accurate one without looking at your property, then they say o.k and hang up... they are just looking for the cheapest price...clients like that, i don't want anyways! pita's!

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Oh BS. He did the right thing. I do that as well and my schedule is full. That is not the kind of customer i want on my list either. I dont give those people the time of day.

9. Please_Be_Green

Please_Be_Green LawnSite Member

Funny how everyone complains on the board abut PITA clients... but every other thread is about losing customer and how bad the economy is.

If I were cutt'n for a living... I'd rather have a PITA customer then none.

It's a customer service related business... if you don't have good customer service you won't ever reach your potential. Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth... and just like the original poster thought it was a funny or to rant, I'm sure the "potential" customer will be telling a few folks about it, but from their side of the fence.

Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly could tell.. that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Just my professional .02.

10. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Funny how everyone complains on the board abut PITA clients... but every other thread is about losing customer and how bad the economy is.

If I were cutt'n for a living... I'd rather have a PITA customer then none.

It's a customer service related business... if you don't have good customer service you won't ever reach your potential. Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth... and just like the original poster thought it was a funny or to rant, I'm sure the "potential" customer will be telling a few folks about it, but from their side of the fence.

Just for the record... I'm a home owner and I'd be damn sure to tell everyone that I possibly I could tell that "XYZ LCO" is unprofessional. Don't hire them.

Just my professional .02.

Very true and good point.... I am always polite and "mostly" professional... However you need to know when a jerk is a jerk and I would not worry about all the $9 dollar cuts I will miss from this person and his friends... Birds of a feather flock together.... I can give you his address and name if you would like to come cut his lawn?!?!