First Dursban....now Diazinon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Was flipping thru the Philadelphia Inquirer this morning and saw an article which the headline reads: "EPA pact to phase out common bug killer. Manufacturers have agreed to stop making products with diazinon because of its risks to consumers."

Agreement includes:

manufacturing of diazinon containing retail products for use indoors to end 3/1/2001 and for outdoor products 6/30/2003

The outdoor product discontinuance is still a couple years away, but what will be next? Diazinon is the 35th of 37 organophosphates to be reevaluated by EPA and was deemed to be one of the four "riskiest". Dursban (Chlorypyrifos) won the award for most risky.

Here is a link to an article in the Washington Post regarding this...I could not find an online link to the Inquirer's article. Both done by same guy though.

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28320-2000Dec5.html

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an "old-school" pesticide derived from a WWI nerve gas.

It'll raise some costs because of the increased price of other newer, better pesticides, but realistically it's about time.

~I'll miss it though.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda what the article said...it's like going in and nuking a lawn. I'll miss it, but I'm sure there will be better replacements. Thank god I still have that jar of DDT as a souvenir of the good ole days! ;)

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

DDT,now thats some good stuff!A little to good I guess.I still will miss Dursban,I never used Daizinon anyway,to much water around here for that stuff.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Could you describe the uses of diazinon for a non-pesticide applicator. Also, what exactly did DDT do?

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Diazinon is a organophosphate insecticide. It basically interferes with the nervous system and respiratory system. It was used widely for control of insects around the home and lawn.

DDT was an insectidide used heavily in the 1940's to around 1972 and is still used in some countries. It was the first chlorinated organic insectidcide. It was widely used for mosquito control. Large amounts were absorbed into the soil and even directly sprayed over water. Insects became resistant to DDT and it proved to be very toxic to fish. It does not break down quickly and move through the soil at a slow rate. In the 1960's the Bald Eagle populations had declined to the point of all most certain extinction. This is thought to be due, in large part to DDT contamination of their food sources. In the 1960's nesting pairs of Bald Eagle were thought to be around 450 pairs. In the 1990's it is now thought to be as high as 75,000 pairs. It is not unusual to see them here now.

Here is a good article about a very large lake near Orlando. Many farms were located around this lake. In an effort to clean the lake up in recent years they accidentally may have stirred up years of DDT and other insecticides. This has been an ongoing problem in this area. http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/022799/met_2a1apopk.html

[Edited by Keith on 12-06-2000 at 11:48 PM]

7. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

I wonder sometimes if the chemical companies aren’t in bed with the EPA (at least to some extent). There were all kinds of testimony to Dursban, about how safe it was. There was no conclusive scientific proof to the EPA study. But yet it's gone. And something twice as good awaits to take it's place, at four times the price. I’m not saying that Diazinon doesn’t need to go. I don’t know. Like I started off by saying, “I wonder”.

Now look at his paragraph taken from the Washington Post Article.

-----------------------
    "It's a good, solid seller, but profit margin has been declining," said Eileen Watson of Syngenta. "We wanted to get out. What we told EPA is that we don't want to leave our customers without an alternative." A phased withdrawal would solve that problem.
    -----------------------

Profit margins declining? (Yep, MmHmmmmmm.)

Now, I know that Dow Elanco hated to lose Dursban, they put a lot of money and effort into keeping it on the market. But you know some other chemical company set waiting with it’s mouth watering knowing it’s sales were going to increase.

The EPA is a needed agency. But it should be ran from a scientific stand point not a political one as it has been of late. There is so much that goes on in Washington, and most of it is in the politicians best interest, not ours. We need to keep a close watch on them.

If any of you haven’t read a book titled,
    "Science Under Siege" by Michael Fumento, You should,
    It’s very enlightening as is
    “The O’Reilly Factor” by Bill O’Reilly.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I, personally, have always considered Diazinon more a hazard than Dursban and was surprised to see dursban taken off the market before diazinon.

9. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

The reason the EPA considered Dursban a higher risk was because it was much more widely used. It was used inside the house and outside the house. So the possibility of someone comimg in contact with Dursban, on a repeated basis was much higher than the possibility of coming in contact with Diazinon. Dursban vs. Diazinon alone, I agree that Diazinon has a much higher risk.