first employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Jun 8, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I hired a helper today. He will be doing the linetrimming and such. I sure needed the help. Now my quality wont slip. This is my first full time year.

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck Darrin, I also hired my first employee, at least for the two weeks I had to wait for my oldest daughter to get out of school. He was a good kid, handled the ZTR fine, No matter what I did as far as string trimming he just didn't get it though. I had to constantly go around and check and re trim stuff. Paid him good for a H.S. graduate waiting to start college, at least for around here $9 per hour.

Glad to have my Daughter instead though, she rides the ZTR as well as he did and trims excellent, seldom have to double check.

-Geoff

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've tryed out probably 5 guys to just trim, none have fit the bill. The best one is my daughter, but I don't want her out in this heat. :)

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

true. I will have to teach him alittle about trimming.

5. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Good luck with teaching. When I had employees I was the one doing almost all the line trimming, couldn't find anyone that could handle a trimmer like a pro, one handed. I had one guy that took 1 hr. to do the same trimming I did in 15 min.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

just had a new guy start this week myself. He can't get trimming right, no matter what I try to do. I can literally walk him around and show him where he missed, make him walk the entire property and do it again, and he still misses some. EVERY property we do, he has to be shown how to trim. Then, he still doesn't do it right. I am going to give him one more week, then is adios. My wife knows his dad and his dad says he has no "drive" and to work the hell out of him. LOL.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

J- I'll be your trimmer, what does it pay? :D

8. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

What size lawns are you trimming. How does they miss spots??
    No offense wriken but that sounds mean that you make your daughter string trim.

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

If it wasn't for those dang child labor laws, Id have my daughter trim....IM sure she can do a better job than this guy I have now. Daughter is 11, btw

"J- I'll be your trimmer, what does it pay? "

Trust me, Mike, you don't wanna work for me....IM a hard man to please....LOL

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

......LOL!