First Employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&D, Dec 19, 2000.

1. D&D

D&D LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am curious about the cost of hiring an employee... what is a fair hourly rate (somewhere in the $7-9/hr area, or am i way off?) also what is the total cost when you include workers comp insurance and payroll taxes (and anything else i am unaware of) If it matters, this business is located in Connecticut and the new hire would only be from May - November. Thanks for your help to those who reply... i have been a frequent visitor to the site but just registered today... good luck on achieving the goal of 2000 members!

2. Go to the off topic forum and there is a labor cost worksheet posted in the thread schools in.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well come on in and get aquainted!!!!!!I asked my accountant what it would cost me based on a flat $200.00 a week salary and she told me it would cost an additional $24.00 in taxes. I can't remember the w/c figures but it would be based on your payroll. You can't factor in the cost of torn up equipment and lost accounts, well maybe you can, probably another 30%, due to some numbskull messing something up so be careful who you hire, at least make sure he has a pulse................thats a good start!

Homer

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

someone told me a long time ago:u can hire a man worth $20 an hour, and only pay him $8, but he will still work like hes makin $20. on the other hand, u can hire a man worth $8, and pay him $20, and he will work like yur payin him $8. its hard to find someone with work ethic, and a pulse for any ammt of money, and as for myself, after the cut up mats, broken statues, broken windshields(someone forgot to tighten the edger blade properly), oh and the last guy who unclogged the chute(only problem is the blades were still engaged)im stayin solo, my mental health is very important to me. bobby

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobbygedd, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have had more than one occasion to expand and take on more work. I choose to stay solo. I see too many guys take on more than they can handle, then have to hire. From what I have seen down here the labor force in this type of field is not the best. I'm sure some guys out there will disagree with me. This just works for me.

6. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

These are the numbers that I got from my insurance agents regarding an employee.

Liability insurance (1 million) - $19.71 per $1000 payroll

Workers comp. - $9.86 per $100 payroll

Jay

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Bobby, was that the guy missing his middle finger?

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, that was him, dont tell me u hired him too. ha ha

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

No, but everytime I see him I give him the finger! I hope all that works out OK.