First Estimate: Nervous...got a few questions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call today from a woman who would like me to come out and meet her and her husband to talk with them about their property. I've been thinking about how I want to approach the situation and the various answers I could give to various questions. One thing I had in mind is that if the question arises, I would like to be honest and upfront with them that this is my first season. My rebuttle would be to talk about how my pricing is competitive (not lowballing, $35 minimum for their lawn and I even put it on the flyer), also I can offer them very personal attention and customer service. Lastly I wanted to do what I thought was fair and offer them a deal: If they are not fully satisfied with any of my services, then they are entitled to a full refund minus the cost of materials (which I will require a deposit for anyway). I figured that if there are any questions about my level of experience, I could ease their concerns a little by guaranteeing my service. Now I know I could get burnt with this but it is a risk that I feel I need to take in order to establish quality, honest relationships with my customers. What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated - just try and think of all the stuff that was runnin through your minds when you were about to interact with my first customer. That's what I'm lookin for. Thanks for any input

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Honesty is a good thing to have with your customers. I feel the money back guarantee is a little to much. I would not even mention anything that will hang you out to dry. Just go in there with confidence and do the best service you can. I would not mention your experience either. If they ask then let them know. You are on the right track thou. Good luck. I see your a vet thanks for serving our country.:usflag:
    JOSH

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I concur with Walker. If they ask then let them know. Never lie, because it will come back to bite you. However, they do not need to know that it is your first year. I would not offer a money back guarantee either. IF you do the work then you get paid for it. Now, if they are not happy with the work then fix it. We will guarantee our work, but not with money back. If something is wrong we will fix it. If it is the customers fault, hey we will even fix it then sometimes. If you go offering money back to people you are going to come across someone that is going to want something for nothing. They will complain that you did shotty work and they want their money back. Here is the key to that. Being new they maybe able to sell you into thinking that it was shotty work when it isn't. You give them their money back and you just busted your hump for nothing. Take care of your customers but do not let people take advantage of you. JMO:)

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Take a note pad, dress nice(golf shirt), don't wear shades,be polite,just a few things off the top of my head

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

All good advise.

I would not say anything about the money back guarantee. If you totally bomb the job and they are totally irritated then it might be the thing to do.

Honesty is good.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

follow the advise already given to you.... if they ask, then tell....... i dont offer a money back guarantee..... but i to have a (satisfaction guaranteed) clause.... hasnt come back to haunt me yet.... i mean ill go back and fix something if they are not satisfied.....

your first happy customer will be the best advertising you have..

good luck.....:)

7. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so I will not offer a money back guarantee but rather a satisfaction guarantee as you all have suggested. I will try my hardest to dance around the experience issue but I will be upfront if need be. Thanks for the advice guys:)

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't worry. More cases then not it doesn't even come into the conversation. I believe that the main reason that it even poses to be a question in the first year or two is the lack of confidence when speaking to the prospective customer. If you dress professional, act professional, speak professional, and treat them in a professional manner then I do not think it will be an issue. Couple this with being honest and fair and you will be alright. :)

9. Keith1981

Keith1981 LawnSite Member

I would carry a clipboard with you and write down everything they want you to do. Thats what I do and I always feel professional with a clipboard in my hand. Good Luck!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you've got a plan, so just put it all in place and carry it out is all you have to do, you have all the elements you need so you're gtg. So follow through with the plan and don't worry, it gets better and easier with time, the first time can be a little sketchy but you'll do fine, all of this is normal anyhow so the customers won't flip out or freak, I promise all will be well.