1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Estimate: Think I Overbid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sup3rman, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Well, I guess it is better to overbid than underbid, so I guess it could be worse. This was my first estimate. The yard is maybe just under 3/4 acre. Back yard is raised up compared to the neighbors, with a retaining wall going all the way around. The back is also fenced in with a pool in the middle, and the woman wants everything bagged. The yard would need a lot of trimming around the fences (two of them) and the retaining wall below. Plus the bagging is kind of a pain. Also, the yard is full of dog droppings which was an unpleasant surprise.

Anyway, I gave her a price of $60-65 a week due to the bagging and extensive trimming. Do you think that sounds high or is it reasonable?
  2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Very reasonable. I have one account that pays $60 per cut. It's one acre of open yard, no bagging, limited trimming. I'm sure a lot of people on here will tell you that's low considering you have to bag 3/4 of an acre.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. For me a bagged 3/4 acre would be $80. I do a no bagged 1 acre prop for $80.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i dont even offer bagging, its so time consuming, i can cut another $50-60 lawn in the time it would take to unload the bagger every 2 mins. i only have one for fall cleanups, its big, time consuming, and an aggervation. your price seems low, but if you dont have much work, perhaps its ok.
  5. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that was a good price maybe even a little low but good for a first, hope when you bag you don't pick up the doggie droppings, that would be a mess, also consider charging a cleanup fee for when you get the yucky stuff on your equipment, i charge 5 dollars and use there hose to wash it off.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

You Think You Over Bid ???

Hell I Think You Underbid....
  7. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Do not take short cuts with bagged lawns. It is time consuming and cumbersome. Therefore, you should get paid. I had one customer I took on who wanted her lawn bagged. I quoted her bagged and un-bagged. She took the quote for two weeks and then dropped me like a hot potato. No love lost because it was a lot of work! I am a professional in that I am licensed and I carry $500,000.00 in general liability insurance. I charge what I am worth.

8. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd charge $60.00 just to pick up the dog crap!!!
  9. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. You guys have definitely made me feel a bit more confident now. The first thing I thought when she asked for bagging was "I'm going to have a bag full of dog crap." Anyway, I guess I'll find out within a few says whether or not I hear from her again.

Again, thanks for all the replies. This site has been a great help to me.
  10. HVC

HVC LawnSite Member

Go to Grainger and pick up a qt of Kil-Odor. It is concentrated so mix it with water.