1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First ever commercial bid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nick-bigfootlawn, Apr 2, 2007.

1. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

This will be my first commercial bid, it's not a large sized commercial prop, maybe 30 mins to mow/trim with 2 guys. Would you guys say you bid commercial bids the same, higher, or lower than a similar residential? And if your commercial bid is higher/lower, why so? Thanks
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i bid higher for commercial props. because of all the extra work. mostly the picking up the crap scattered throughout the lawn before you start mowing. the church i mow has a daycare in one of their buildings, so we constantly have to pick up cups and napkins from them. and then constantly stop as they bring kids in and out. they cant just leave them inside for 10 minutes as we mow that area, they have to brind them out at that exact time and everyone of the kids has to stop and watch too.
  3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Pickin up before you mow is a GOOD point. It's TIME consuming!!
  4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have one commercial property that is so big and mesy I have a golf cart to run around and pick up stuff.
    It need a set of batteries this year but it really save time.
  5. DaughtryLC

On some of my props. when I cut I have a 5 gal. bucket between my feet on my Z, Seems to save TIME!
  6. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

This might seem like a dumb question but considering you guys do a lot of large commercials, I would assume you have a fair amount of garbage collected over the week. How do you dispose of it, do you bring it home and throw it out with your garbage or do you put it in the dumpsters of the owner?
  7. DaughtryLC

I use the homeowners or commercial props. dumpster. My last resort is I keep a trash can in the truck and take it home.
  8. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

See I dont have much commercial work but its little things like this that could make a big deal at the end of the day.
  9. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

there are places to dump trash every where almost all busniess have a dumpster just throw it in there. and if they dont find one on your way home the worst that can happen is they come out and yell at you, but if no ones around who cares.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We put it in their dumpsters......and in response to prices....commericial is definitely lower in our area but the perks are you get a lot of add on work of almost unlimited bucks when times are good.....